Alexa's mic keeps turning off

• 11 August 2018
  • 12 replies

Any reason why Alexa's mic keeps turning off? This is the third time it has happened. I can't tell if it is in response to a power outage or not, but no one can touch the top panel where she sits. If it is because of losing power, shouldn't it default to on when power is restored?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

On this topic again... is there any way to tell if Alexa's mic is on or off? The light is not lit. When I push the button it makes the Alexa sound and the light flashes but that's it. I've disabled and re-enabled the skill and all looks good there. She's still not hearing me. Has nothing to do with Sonos yet. I can't get her to activate by saying Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is strange - my mic button is always not lit or lit. Blinking defiantly doesn't sound right. After enabling skill does it show in the Alexa app (and show as not disabled in alexa app).
Thanks, Chris. Yes, it shows in the Alexa app. Thanks for the confirmation that the mic should be lit if its on. Will give support a call this morning.
Just went down and tried again. After the third press, it made a different activation sound and stayed lit. Back in business.
BCM,

If the mic is switched off on a sonos speaker, then a user can 'push to talk' ... so that’s a push and hold down, so that a user can then speak a command, then when finished the mic is released and it automatically returns to the off state.

However it’s just a very quick light fast tap to switch the mic both on and off. So I’m thinking you perhaps maybe pressing the mic button for just a fraction too long and that’s why it goes off, as it behaves as though you were trying to 'push to talk'.

Hope you follow my explanation...?
... pressing the mic button for just a fraction too long ...

Just tested based on your explanation. Thinking that's exactly it. Thanks for breaking it down for me.
BCM,

Trying to explain it simply with a few short paragraphs was the hardest bit ha ha ?... anyhow, glad you followed my meaning. ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I didn't know it even had a push to talk.
Nor did I. Fascinating.

And here I was thinking that maybe the LED had burned out.
If I recall correctly, I was waving my finger around in the dark, in the bedroom, a few weeks back, and discovered it by accident ha ha?... 'as you do' ..!
This is not that kind of forum 🆒
This is not that kind of forum 🆒
Bruce you maybe right. Even the wife just said to me that she thinks I need help!

....So I am now hoping she is gonna pop out tomorrow and buy me a new torch/flashlight. ? ha ha.