Question

Alexa's "I'm listening sound" freaks out my dog. Can it be changed or turned off and still have Alexa work?

• 5 January 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a pair of Sonos One speakers set up in stereo mode in our family room. The noise Alexa makes to indicate that she has heard us mention her name is driving my dog crazy. Can the sound be changed or completely turned off (while still being able to use Alexa?)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge
I am looking for an answer to this as well. I have a ONE hooked up in the bedroom and some lights via Alexa, too. I would like to talk to Alexa, command her to "turn off the lights" and have her/it do it without making any sound. Is this possible?
Not currently. Sonos has indicated that they're looking at the issue, I believe.
Badge
This issue is making Alexa on my ONE virtually useless after 8pm. All of the "bongs" and "oks" are so loud they wake up my wife.:8. I interacted with Sonos on twitter and they seemed to be unaware of it.

Ah, thanks for the clarification and contacting Sonos. I hadn’t recalled turning off the chime on our original echo, but apparently I did as the silence was delightful. We’d hate to have to return our three Sonos Ones for this reason because we really otherwise enjoy them. Is there a best way for us to communicate with Sonos about this issue? Thanks for pointing out the proper terminology, the “Alexa Chime”.
There is a fairly active thread with about 50 entries already on this topic under a different user’s question.