Alexa Routines and Sonos One - Support Log

• 7 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
As others have posted, executing Alexa routines on Sonos One works but you will get the message saying audio activity currently not available on this device. Well, I decided to call Sonos support for assistance and was told #Alexa routines are not supported on #SonosOne and that they had NO ANSWER for why it was working prior but now still working while receiving the error message.

Seeing that it WAS working without receiving the message a few days ago and that the routines were actually being executed, I decided to dig more into it myself.

I was able to resolve the issue by NO longer using routines but instead, creating device groups on Alexa and then using commands like "Alexa, turn off living room" to turn off smart plugs in the living room group.

To add to the frustration, I replied to Sonos support email letting them know that their own webpage showed that Alexa smart home devices could be controlled via SonosOne.

Following is the email thread between #SonosSupport and me:

Initial Email:
Hello,

I was told by the support person that routines were not supported on my Sonos One - however, I am looking at what is supported per Sonos web page (link below) and it states I can use to control lights etc.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/alexa-on-sonos

The message I am getting when I say something like “Alexa, main on” to run that routine to turn on a smart plug is “Audio actions and routines are currently not supported on this device” but it executes the command anyways.

Sonos response:
Thanks for getting back to us.

The previous agent was correct in relaying the action that Alexa routines are not supported on Sonos devices, hence the message that you receive. As you've experienced, there will be cases where the routine will be executed, however it is not officially supported and the next routine command may not be executed.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out. We are always happy to assist you.

Regards,
______
Marcus F.

My final response to Sonos:
I really want to like Sonos and have been trying for a year but your support and knowledge of your own product is abysmal. If Sonos integrates with Alexa then you should know exactly what will and will not work and why. Not having an explanation for why a routine sometimes works or doesn’t is crazy! I hope you see that. And the act that your own website indicates you can execute smart home commands/routines from Sonos contradicts what you have stated below.

IF there is another possible alternative to using routines that your website is referring to, then you should be offering that to me as a suggested resolution.

FYI - I have figured out the solution NOT using Alexa routines but instead using devices and device groups. WITH NO HELP FROM SONOS!

It would be nice to have this message go to someone at a managerial level that would actually care about the quality of service you are producing with thought to improving it.

Amazon ECHO Plus 2nd generation is $149 and I just purchased one to replace my sonos one.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have just purchased 2 Sonos Ones to work with my house refurbishment in the UK. I was aware that not all functionality was available to these enabled devices, but I decided to sacrifice things like ‘drop -in’ for the sound quality of Sonos. plus I wanted to wall mount and the design was more suited to that.

What I did not expect is the bug relating to Routines. This is a fundamental control feature and I was not unaware this was not supported. What is worse is that Routines seem to work fine, but I keep getting an annoying message ‘ Routines are not supported on this device’ every time they run.

Can Sonos / Alexa partnership not see how frustrating this is? Surely this command could
be fixed with an update or patch. I understand Amazon wanting to keep some exclusive functionality, but this seems like a bug that could
be resolved between the companies.

I’ve seen so many posts on this functionality routine command, please fix this for us. It makes me feel negative towards both companies and want to explore competitor systems.

A
Userlevel 1
Same here. Working routines should be priority in upcomming upgrades.
Userlevel 1
Totally agree to the above! I invested in 4 Sonos One's and can't use the routine functionality without this annoying message each time! Please sort this out!