Question

Alexa refuses to talk to Sonos

• 6 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Hi - I was very excited to hear about Sonos and Amazon integrating so I updated the Sonos app on my Samsung S7, then went into Alexa. Downloaded the skill and went into "enable", signed into the Sonos account, gave it access permission, signed in to Sonos on Amazon...and then it sends me back to the initial "link account" screen and I'm back to square one. Alexa's smart device search finds no smart devices, certainly no speakers.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? Or is it an Android thing? I believe this should work with any Sonos speakers, mine are about a year old, will this make a difference? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Do you have a Sonos One, or are you using a Amazon device to speak to Alexa?

I think it may behoove you to submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.
Thank you, report submitted. I'm using an Echo (original version) and as the Sonos speakers, as per my original message, are a year old therefore not Sonos 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you used the same email address for your Sonos account and Amazon Alexa? They both need to be the same.
Userlevel 3
'UKMedia

Have you used the same email address for your Sonos account and Amazon Alexa? They both need to be the same.'

Actually - that's not true. I have separate email addresses for Sonos account and Amazon account and my Echo's and Sonos One all work (within the current limitations of the integration)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
'UKMedia

Have you used the same email address for your Sonos account and Amazon Alexa? They both need to be the same.'

Actually - that's not true. I have separate email addresses for Sonos account and Amazon account and my Echo's and Sonos One all work (within the current limitations of the integration)

A lot of people are having issues when their email address are different, the advice is to login using the same email address.
Userlevel 3
Fair enough - thanks for the info I had not seen that advice. But I stand by what I said - my set up works fine with the different emails for Alexa and Sonos. Guess I'm lucky......
My current understanding is the Sonos Account email address and the Amazon Account email address can be entirely different ... the important bit is the actual linking of the Sonos and Amazon accounts as you install/enable the Sonos Skill in the Amazon Alexa App smart-home section and show you accept the sharing agreement between the two.

You will find the Sonos login consent credentials in your Amazon Account on their website by going to the 'Login with Amazon' section of your account profile as shown in my screenshot attached. You can remove the sharing consent here too, if you so desire.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
'UKMedia

Hi Clinical Precision & Ken_Griffiths

I've double checked my advice quoted and you are both correct that this is NOT a requirement. Sorry for any confusion caused.
UKMedia,

Thanks for checking and clarifying this matter. That’s really helpful to have the email address issue confirmed.

I also currently think you may only be able to link one Sonos Account to one Amazon Account ... which is perhaps not so good, if a user has multiple Sonos homes, (main home & holiday home etc.) but I have not yet confirmed if that information is correct. If it is the case, presumably you would need two separate Amazon music subscriptions to play Amazon Music at both locations.

That’s something else that needs clarifying, I suspect ...not that it is relevant to my personal situation, but I’m sure others here may encounter that issue at some stage.

Ken
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
UKMedia,

Thanks for checking and clarifying this matter. That’s really helpful to have the email address issue confirmed.

I also currently think you may only be able to link one Sonos Account to one Amazon Account ... which is perhaps not so good, if a user has multiple Sonos homes, (main home & holiday home etc.) but I have not yet confirmed if that information is correct. If it is the case, presumably you would need two separate Amazon music subscriptions to play Amazon Music at both locations.

That’s something else that needs clarifying, I suspect ...not that it is relevant to my personal situation, but I’m sure others here may encounter that issue at some stage.

Ken

Hi Ken

Yes, totally agree and I've been monitoring this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-and-alexa-in-two-houses-6792102
UKMedia,

Yes indeed, I thought it may become an issue and whilst I can see a 'workaround' to go onto use a single Amazon Account music subscription I think it will be a matter that will need some further consideration by Sonos and Amazon. I don’t want to see music subscription accounts being shared amongst neighbours/friends etc. but a person with multiple Sonos houses/locations should really only be required to have one music subscription for themselves, whichever home they are currently staying at.

Hopefully a simple solution will be forthcoming later on to address the matter.