Answered

Alexa randomly switching to english

• 4 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I'm using Alexa on my Sonos Move in French being based in France since 18months

Somewhen in the last 6 months, it started to switch to English randomly during the process, for example during the flash update, starting in French and suddenly switch to English. It is annoying when Alexa is reading something and is reading a French text with an English accent.

I made the test in all the other Amazon built Alexa devices I have and do not experience this issue. I also delinked and relinked my Amazon account to my Sonos Move + update it, all of this didn't change anything.

Any idea? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 August 2023, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is your Sonos profile on the Sonos website set to the right country?

Just verified, the country listed in my profil within the Sonos website is correct 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sbois 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Could you please describe in more detail when you hear English from Alexa? You mentioned during a flash update, but I don’t see why/how Alexa could speak during that process. In normal operation, does your speaker still respond in French? Is it when you use particular Alexa skills? Any more info that you can provide would be most helpful. Thank you.

Please note that in addition to the Sonos country setting, each speaker also maintains a location with the Alexa service. Please check that the speakers with Alexa have the correct location set within the Alexa app - More » Settings » Device Settings » [room name] (note that there may be more than one device listed here for each room) » Device Location.

Hi Corry, 

During flash updates for example to get the weather, Alexa is reading something (this is where it is annoying), or during intervals between during intervals, she is announcing the next elements (“Dans France Info Géopolitique” become “In the France Info Geopolitics”).

Where it's really strange is that it always start the Flash update in French, then switch in English in the next interval until the end unless I ask her to go next, the next one would be in French and the second one after this would switch to English.

I checked within the Alexa settings for my Sonos move, it is well registered in France.

Thanks

Have you checked with Amazon? Sonos only sends the voice command to Amazon for processing, everything after that is sent by Amazon to the Sonos speaker, Sonos really isn’t in the middle of that process. 

I didn't. What is strange here is that everything's works just fine with all my Alexa speakers, only this one from Sonos do have this issue.

I will contact Alexa, I guess they will advise me to contact Sonos.

tx Bruce, have a great day

I believe Amazon uses different servers for connections coming through the Sonos system, but they still own that content, Sonos has nothing to do with it. Bonne chance, let us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sbois 

Ah! I understood “flash update” to mean the flashing of new firmware on the device. What you are saying makes much more sense - thank you!

Bruce is correct in saying that we don’t have much to do with the processes going on there, but as it’s our speakers that are affected, I’ll pass this info on to an engineer. It would still be a good idea for you to contact Amazon support directly, however. They may well instruct you to contact Sonos, but now you can say you already have!

If I hear anything more, I will get back to you.