Answered

Alexa plays on the Echo instead of Sonos

• 6 November 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
I have an Amazon Echo and Sonos One in the same house. When I speak to the Sonos, for example play something on Pandora, it plays on the Echo even with the Echo way on the other side of the house with the mic disabled,
icon

Best answer by cjn 7 November 2017, 04:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I suspect you need to specify the room name of the Sonos speaker. Without that identification, Alexa assumes you want it on their system, not your Sonos One.
Make sure the name of your Sonos One and Echo are different. If they are the same, I can see how this issue would occur.
Badge
Thanks for the replies. Sorry to be so basic, but how does one know what the names of the Echo &/or the Sonos is?
Names of the devices are located in the Alexa app. Check under smart devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When speaking to the Sonos One, using the name shouldn't be needed, but definitely, make sure they're named differently.

You may also need to re-enable the voice control through the Sonos app and re-discover devices.
Badge
Thanks for the replies here. I've come to the conclusion that Alexa integration is just not ready for prime time outside the Amazon ecosystem. It may be best to throw in the towel nd disable the mic and use the Sonos One as a speaker and forget the voice stuff. Maybe in a few months I'll try it again but for now I'm just using the apps and the pause button on the speaker itself. What a waste of a few hours trying to figure out this stuff
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
^^ Agree with CJN. Integration with Alexa isn't quite there yet. It's half-baked. Was Sonos pressured to release this app because it was made public that they'd do so towards the end of this year? Also, there are such things called competition and sales. For me, better safe than sorry. They shouldn't have released voice integration till it was really mind-blowing. Sonos, please hurry.