Alexa playing on the wrong Sonos Move

• 29 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, I have two Sonos Moves in different locations in my house. When I try to get Alexa to play music (ie just resume from playing music from my server), it sometimes resumes music on the wrong device in a different location. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue and if there’s a fix or if it’s just a bug? The devices are not stereo paired and are used seperately.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you checked that your Alexa Groups are correctly set-up into rooms with your Alexa and Sonos devices? Are either of the Moves set as preferred speakers in any of your Alexa Groups?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi thanks for the suggestions. The Alexa groups are correct - one group for each speaker with the right speaker assigned. However one of the speakers keeps losing its name and defaulting back to ‘move’. I think this is messing with the Alexa and perhaps causing the issue.  

Hi thanks for the suggestions. The Alexa groups are correct - one group for each speaker with the right speaker assigned. However one of the speakers keeps losing its name and defaulting back to ‘move’. I think this is messing with the Alexa and perhaps causing the issue.  

Did you register the ‘Move’ as an ‘accessory’ in Apple HomeKit? If so, rename the Speaker in the iOS Home App. It will automatically change its name in the Sonos App and the Alexa App too. Once you do that it will hopefully fix your issue.🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you! Only one was in homekit  so have added  both and deleted the Alexa groups. Hopefully now when I say ‘Alexa play music’ it will just play on the speaker that hears the command. 

Thank you! Only one was in homekit  so have added  both and deleted the Alexa groups. Hopefully now when I say ‘Alexa play music’ it will just play on the speaker that hears the command. 

You can perhaps include the Sonos Room name at the end of the voice instruction (I assume they have different names)... "Alexa play the Beatles on Move One/Two” etc.