Question

"Alexa play this" command to sonos one plays the music through an echo dot downstairs

• 19 January 2018
  • 5 replies

So i have 3 sonos ones in different rooms of my house, and a playbar with play:1s as surround in another, in that room I have an echo dot. When i say "alexa, play whatever,in a room that has a sonos one, it plays the music not through the sonos one that i was talking to, but the echo dot!
Is there any type of setting that i have to adjust, or something that i can do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have to have different names. Since I use my Dots as intercoms I named them Room ?

Example: I have a Sonos Play:5 in my Kitchen and an Echo Show

The Play:5 is called Kitchen
The Echo Show is called Room Kitchen

So if I want to play Music I say "Alexa play Bruno Mars on Kitchen"

If I am intercoming that room from another I say "Alexa drop in on room Kitchen"

It flows pretty well that way with always saying room before an alexa device and just saying the room name only when I'm sending something to an actual Sonos unit.
Well, that would make sense if I was talking to the echo dot. But the Sonos ones should just play the music through the Sonos One that I was speaking to, or that’s the way I understood it.
Even so each device has a different name. My Sonos ones are named child ones Speaker, child twos Speaker, living room speaker and my echo dot is just named my echo dot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If the Dot hears you instead of the Sonos One then yea the dot is going to play the music. You either going to have to space them apart where the Dot doesn't hear you well when asking the Sonos One or just always same the room name.

All my rooms with Sonos dots have normal Sonos speakers so there is not two devices listening. My Sonos One is in my bathroom where no Dot exists.
So, I whispered real quietly to the one Sonos device that I was talking to that would normally play on the echo and it played on the intended Sonos One…
Apparently I am just very loud…
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nice