Question

Alexa “play song name/artist” works, but not “play my music” (Spotify)

• 18 July 2019
  • 3 replies

I use my standalone Amazon Echo to control my Sonos Beam (I disabled the built-in Alexa). The Beam is my default speaker.

When I say something specific, like “Alexa, play The Beatles” it works great and streams music to the Beam.

But it when I say “Alexa, play my music” (which should play all my Spotify “liked” songs, Alexa acknowledges the request, but nothing happens.

Any thoughts? Clearly Alexa and the Beam are integrated, but the command to “play my library” or even “play my library in the living room” l is broken somehow?

Thanks!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As you've disabled Voice Control on your Beam, this is purely using the Alexa cloud and not Sonos. It's not possible to use Voice to control local playlists or local library, unless you use IFTTT and use the Trigger to play a Sonos favourite.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
But Alexa "Play my Music" should work as it's coming from Spotify. Have you tried this with the default speaker set to the Alexa device rather than the beam?
That’s what’s so weird:

If Sonos and Alexa are in a Group, and Alexa is the default speaker, “Play my music” works perfectly.

If if I change nothing else except making the default speaker the Sonos, Alexa acknowledges the command the same way, but nothing happens.