Alexa play on all Sonos speakers

• 10 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi all. I have a Sonos Play 1 in my bedroom and Play 3 in my living room. Alexa plays as requested on either speaker. When I aske her to play on both speakers she says to go on Alexa app and look out groupings there, but it doesn’t work for Sonos speakers.

So is Alexa (Echo Dot) unable to deal with a play on all speakers command?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Grouping via voice is on the wish list with Amazon and they have said it is something they are working on.

You currently need to group them in the Sonos app just as you would if playing from a Sonos source.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Command cheat sheet:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343
Badge
Thanks Chris. That’s what I’m doing at the minute but was hoping I was missing a trick- sadly not! Great it’s in the Q
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Welcome to the board ianagallosi.

Yea we have haven't seen an Alexa update yet since the initial rollout. There are two big things that Sonos says they want to do but of course have to have Amazon enable it.

Those 2 things are:

1) Group via voice command

2) Add ability to set a specific Sonos speaker paired to an Alexa device so that the Alexa device always plays to Sonos (so you don't have to say "In Room". Then also that would allow only that speaker to duck in volume where now the commands annoyingly duck all rooms. ie. making a Sonos speaker and Alexa device pairing that mimicks what the Sonos One does now.
Badge
Sounds good. I hope the second point would mean that she responds through the Sonos speaker too. Find it strange that she speaks through the echo dot but can play music through Sonos. Strangely the dot connects to my tv soundbar (Samsung) and she speak though that. I guess it’s because echo truly connects to the soundbar but only pushes or triggers playing of music through Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think even when linked it would speak through the dot but send music via Sonos. I wouldn't want the Alexa voice coming from the Sonos speaker but that is of course my personal preference.

Yes - now if you use the audio out via cord from the Dot it sends everything via the wire to replace its internal speaker.
Badge
Yes - now if you use the audio out via cord from the Dot it sends everything via the wire to replace its internal speaker.

Why didn’t I think to do that! Cheers.