Alexa on Sonos being weird with BBC Radio 2.....

• 27 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello, so here’s a weird one…

We have a few Sonos speakers, including a Sonos Beam in the living room, with some Sonos Play speakers supplementing it, and a stereo-pair of Sonos Play in my office room and a single Sonos One in the bathroom (don’t ask).

I have the speakers grouped into ‘Lounge’, ‘Bathroom’, ‘Office’, ‘Upstairs’, ‘Downstairs’ and ‘Everywhere’.

This issue happens on Alexa, regardless of whether I ask the Sonos Beam in the living room, or the Sonos One in the bathroom.

Sooo….  

If I say to Alexa “Play Radio 2”, it will play BBC Radio 2 (from BBC Sounds) on that speaker, no problem.  :relaxed:

However, if I say “Play Radio 2 in Bathroom”, or “Play Radio 2 in Lounge”, or “Play Radio 2 Upstairs”, or “Play Radio 2 Everywhere” (basically, asking for any particular speakers/room/group), it will play “S4-Radio Two from TuneIn”, whatever the hell that is! :frowning2:

Alexa on Sonos will only play BBC R2 if I don’t specify a speaker, group or room, otherwise it’s this S4 thing.

It doesn’t do this with other radio stations, such as Absolute, Heart, Radio X etc - only BBC R2.

So, if I want to play BBC R2 all over the flat, I have to say “Play Absolute 80s Everywhere”, wait for Alexa to do that, and then say “Play Radio 2” to get the feed to ‘Everywhere’ to change to that.

So, in summary:

“Alexa, play Radio 2” = BBC R2 from BBC Sounds, on that speaker.  :relaxed:
“Alexa, play Radio 2 in xxxxx” = S4-Radio-Two from TuneIn on that group, room or set!:frowning2:

Note: This has been happening for a long time - well before any changes to BBC radio stations on TuneIn or anything.

Any ideas???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +17

Hi @MattyBur,

This might sound a little basic, and I apologise if you have tried this, but it isn’t included in your original post, what happens if you specify “BBC Radio 2” instead of just “Radio 2”? Sometimes the more specific you are, the more accurate the result. 

Badge

Hi James. Thanks for the reply!

Yes, doesn't matter if I say “BBC Radio 2” or “BBC Radio 2 from BBC Sounds” or pretty much anything else you can think of, I still get the same wrong result if I specify a speaker or room!