Answered

Alexa not working for any skills added in Canada.

• 1 March 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi
I have the sonos one and Alexa just became supported for it in Canada.

my Alexa does not seem to respond to any skill command. It only plays amazon music and gives weather / newsflashes. No skills I added are working.

secondly, I cannot find the Sirius XM application in the skills menu. Sirius stated that the skill should be there for Canada.

So I need help getting the Sirius skill and having the skills work
icon

Best answer by Keith N 1 March 2018, 20:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, habcommander. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Could you tell us a little more about the skills you have added? Perhaps this article from Edward R can help clear up some issues with Alexa not recognizing your commands.

To address SiriusXM in Canada, it is not available for use with Alexa in Canada. For more information, check out this FAQ on setting up music services with Alexa on Sonos.
Thank you for the welcome and your reply!

I just contacted amazon and they said the Sirius skill is not available yet in Canada. So that’s one issue solved.

The skills I have been trying to use without success are the sleep sounds, I can get Alexa to list them but she won’t play any.

I also added the individual sleep sound skills and used their commands but there Alexa doesn’t even understand.

I assure you I am speaking very clearly. I have tried next to the speaker even.

I have two Sonos 1s in the same room, I disabled one of the microphones but that didn’t help so I turned them both back on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
We're looking into some trouble playing audio from certain skills that isn't just text-to-speech. This doesn't apply to all skills, but we have seen it with the Sleep Sounds skill. The team is actively working on this, so stay tuned.

From the sounds of it, you are doing it right. If the skill is announced but no audio follows, it is likely experiencing the previously mentioned issue.
Great thank you!

I will wait for Sirius and better responsiveness to enjoy the Alexa on Sonos 1s. It’s just too frustrating at the moment.

Thank you for confirming I’m not insane lol.
Badge
I am also having issues with Alexa on my Sonos One in Canada. After the update became available I switched from using the US Alexa. I have deleted my device from my other account, deleted all my devices and re-added them.

Alexa says "Sorry something went wrong" when i try to play something on Spotify. If i ask Alexa to play anything, it does so using Amazon music, even though Spotify is chosen as default.

Alexa also does not recognize any of the custom Routines I create to control my Hue lights and smart plugs.

All of these things worked great when I was using the US Alexa.

Anyone else run into these issues? Am I missing anything?

Josh