Answered

Alexa not responsive on Beam

• 28 January 2021
  • 5 replies

I’ve had my Beam for about a year and up until a month or so ago, it was working well with Alexa. Now however, for seemingly no reason, Alexa does not respond. The activity light doesn’t activate and no response is given when asking Alexa to do something. The audio from the beam continues to work when using my TV as a source. 

Troubleshooting steps I have taken:

1. I have followed the steps in the support page here twice. It works after following all the steps but after 24 hours, stops working again. 
  2. I have tried to remove all speakers in my setup and re-add them. Again, this works for a short while, maybe 2-3 days before it stops again.

I purchased a new router a couple of months ago (ASUS RT-AX82U) and is the only thing I can think of that might be causing this apart from a potential hardware issue on the beam. 

Has anyone had any similar issues to these?

Thanks,

Haydn

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 April 2021, 12:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Breakstay.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! We’d be glad to help.

There is a known issue to other ASUS-RT routers with Airtime Fairness resulting in association failures, you may try to disable this feature, and here’s how:

• Under Advanced Settings, click Wireless.
  • Click the Professional tab.
  • Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.
  • Change the Frequency to 5GHz.
  • Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.

If that doesn’t help, please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app while the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system,  it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Let us know how that goes.

Hi @Annazel S,

Thanks for your reply. When I checked my router settings, the Airtime Fairness was already set to disabled. I submitted a diagnostic report just now. The confirmation number is 1688693074. Please can this be looked at? I’d really appreciate a solution to this so anything you can do would be a great help. 

Thanks,

Haydn

You haven't accidentally disabled the mic on the Beam have you?

Edit: on re-reading seems unlikely, as works briefly.

Unfortunately not, I should have mentioned in my OP that the microphone is definitely on. Sometimes Alexa works (after a reboot of the Beam for example) but then at some point after this (can be an hour, a day etc) Alexa stops responding. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Breakstay 

The diagnostics (thanks) are reporting a TOKEN_ERROR, meaning that the information package that Sonos, Alexa and the target music service exchange during a voice command, containing all the relevant account and device details, has been garbled or has mis-matching accounts. As you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps on our Alexa commands not working on Sonos help page, I’m afraid I can only suggest that you get in touch with our technical support team directly for some guided, real-time troubleshooting.

Note: When signing out of Amazon apps and websites (in the steps outlined in the page linked to above), it’s important that you do so with all Amazon-affiliated apps and websites - Audible, Kindle, Amazon Music, Amazon Shopping, the main Amazon website, etc, on that device. If one of these is signed into a different Amazon account, that can cause problems (during setup of Alexa on Sonos). An easier option might be to install Alexa to Sonos using another phone/tablet (as long as the same Amazon account as you link Sonos to is used on that device too), if available.