Question

Alexa not playing music today

• 25 December 2017
  • 29 replies

Badge +1
Am I the only one (I'm in the UK) who's having big problems with Alexa today?

It was fine yesterday but today it won't play anything, works fine through sonos app.

I try spotify it says not supported, I try amazon and it says I don't know what went wrong, tune in doesn't respond.

Other commands like good morning or what time is it work but Alexa is slow to respond.

Is Alexa overloaded for Christmas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

I'm trying to set up my daughters Sonos One and having same problem, says Spotify not supported on Alexa?????
xmas Overload?
Same problem setting up new Sonos One today. Either get "Spotify not supported on Alexa", or "There was a problem".
Badge
Same here, very sluggish or not responding to voice commands. My Echo seems to be OK though!
I have same issue today, terryh. My Sonos1 has been working fine for a week. Today it responds to voice commands for weather, news etc but will not play any music - either from my amazon prime music account or any radio station. It confirms the instruction as it used to (eg “playing your pop playlist”) but then says “I am not sure what went wrong” and does not play the music. Have tried switching on and off (!) and also checked on Sonos app that Alexa voice service is enabled. Not sure what else to do.
Badge +1
Nothing we can do I guess, just wait for it to.be fixed or start working again.

Annoying as I got another ONE yesterday.
Same here. My Echo works fine, and on the Sonos One commands for lights and heating work fine. So I suspect its specifically to do with the combination of Sonos One + Spotify + Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Everyone.

Please Disable and then Enable the Sonos skill within the Alexa app>Skills>Your Skills. If the problem persists then the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post will completely reset your voice control:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Same problem here on Sonos with Amazon Music and TuneIn. Also, although my Echos work eventually, they are very sluggish.
Badge +1
Already tried disabling and enabling the skill. This looks like a sonos or Amazon issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Already tried disabling and enabling the skill. This looks like a sonos or Amazon issue.

I had a temporary outage but working now but very slow to initiate audio, can you retest?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Update: I've just spoken to Sonos support via Messenger and this is the current status:

'Currently some customers are experiencing intermittent connectivity via Alexa on the Sonos One when trying to control Spotify playback, we are actively investigating the issue with Spotify and Amazon, in the mean time if you do experience the issue again you can control Spotify playback to Sonos via the Sonos application or via the Spotify application.'
Same problem here
Its not just Spotify - we're trying to use Amazon Music and exactly the same thing is happening. Also it's really slow - new today so very disappointed! Might end up returning it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Its not just Spotify - we're trying to use Amazon Music and exactly the same thing is happening. Also it's really slow - new today so very disappointed! Might end up returning it.

Give it a bit of time, it's been great until a few hrs ago...
Badge +1
Just tried again and it's still slow but will play from Spotify now.
Mine says “sorry I am having trouble understanding right now, try a little later” Christmas gift and son not happy.
seems to be fixed?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
seems to be fixed?Yes, seems to be here too.
Exactly the same problem too
Is it fixed?
When I ask Alexa to play Spotify it says you have to have a Spotify premium account linked, which I do!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There was an Alexa playback outage with Spotify yesterday, which has long since been resolved. Sorry for the trouble but you should now be back up.
MIne still saying you have to have a Spotify premium account linked - my son is very disappointed with his Xmas gift.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
MIne still saying you have to have a Spotify premium account linked - my son is very disappointed with his Xmas gift.
Make sure that you have the same Spotify account credentials set up in the Alexa App and within the Sonos app. For the Sonos app, it's under More > Add Music Services.

They should be the same account, and it does need to be Spotify Premium, free Spotify accounts don't work with Sonos devices.