Answered

Alexa not playing music through Sonos Beam

• 17 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Got a Beam yesterday and connected fine, worked beautifully playing music via the Sonos app or via asking Alexa (kids also discovered “Alexa - maximum volume” very quickly!). This morning however asking Alexa to play music, I get an “ok playing xxxxx” but no music. Playing from the app still works, and asking Alexa the time etc still work fine, it’s just the music - is there anything I could try please?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 17 January 2019, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi JimStorey

In the now playing for the room in which the Beam is installed make sure the previous session is not active. If so end it and try your command. You can also check the Alexa app to see if a session is active.

If you have more than one Alexa enabled device you cannot stream the same session on two devices simultaneously. For example "Alexa, play Moon River in living room" and then say "Alexa play Moon River in bedroom".

The other scenario is that the music was paused on another device and Alexa resumed play on it rather than the Beam.

If none of the above works, then delete the Alexa app and the Sonos App and set them up again.

Cheers!
Thanks AjTrek1, to be honest it was working when I got home so I didn’t get to investigate what caused the problem, but I really appreciate your help and advice. I don’t use an Alexa app, but will follow your tips should this happen again. Thank you! Jim.
Userlevel 7
Thanks AjTrek1, to be honest it was working when I got home so I didn’t get to investigate what caused the problem, but I really appreciate your help and advice. I don’t use an Alexa app, but will follow your tips should this happen again. Thank you! Jim.

Hi JimStorey

Glad things sorted themselves out.;) Regarding the Alexa app...you may not physically use it on a regular basis but you are using it by proxy. The Sonos Beam with Alexa requires that you have the Alexa app installed on your device in order to activate the Sonos Skill within it. Conversely, you must enable Alexa voice assistant in the Sonos app. The two go hand n' hand :8

Cheers!
Thanks! Great advice and very much appreciated help!