alexa not ducking sonos sound

• 5 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

My Alexa stopped ducking the sonos sound when I ask Alexa a question..my Sonos speakers are in a group that includes Alexa devices that previously solved the problem… but acting up again.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @taveller 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you switch off or unplug your Sonos and Alexa devices. While they are off, also unplug your router. Wait at least 30 seconds and turn on the router again. Once you have functional WiFi, please turn on your Sonos and Amazon devices.

If that doesn’t help, you could also try disabling and enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app.

I hope this helps.

Just want to confirm that this is also happening to me with a Playbase and Echo Dot in the same group. This has worked flawlessly for years, but maybe in the last week I noticed it had stopped working. 

Corry, I tried both steps you suggested, but to no avail. I also tried them both together - completely deleted the speaker and Alexa skill in the Alexa app, unplugged and rebooted, then reconfigured from scratch. Alexa can still completely control the speaker, but it will no longer duck when music is playing. The playback source is music invoked via Alexa, not the TV or AirPlay, for clarity. 

This has also happened to me. Has always ducked as it should suing Alexa until about a week ago. I’ve tried everything. I think it’s related to the newest Alexa update..

Using *

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks everyone for your reports of this issue. I’ve flagged this up for investigation.

Badge

It may be coincidence, but I believe Alexa has a new feature called adaptive volume, which raises the volume on the speaker if there is a lot of ambient noise.  Maybe that’s why Sonos is no longer ducking?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @taveller 

It could be related, I suppose, but I don’t know. There are reports of Google Assistant on Google devices having the same problem, so it may be due to our API.