Alexa no longer plays music over sonos speakers

• 18 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Subject:: Alexa cannot connect to Spotify or other music sources (all enabled) after a Sonos auto software update to 14.20

I have 5 sonos one speakers plus Boost that previously worked well with Alexa. After the auto software update on the speakers, Alexa failed. Specifically, Alexa could no longer execute commands such as “Alexa, play smooth jazz music.” Alexa would respond “Playing smooth jazz on Spotify … sorry that device is off line.” The problem is that everything is on line and correctly connected. Also, I can ask Alexa what is the weather or other questions like that and it responds appropriately. In summary, Alexa cannot reach any of 4 music services that were, and remain, enabled in my skills list. 

I followed all Sonos recommended reconnect procedures with no effect. Router is same and I made no adjustment to its settings prior to this problem; IPhone 14 is same with no changes there; Wi-Fi signal is robust throughout the house; no new additions to my network; no ‘interference’ either; Alexa app shows everything is normal and enabled; Sonos app shows all is normal and enabled.

As a final observation, I can access and control music via the Sonos app on my IPhone but of course if I say “Alexa, stop playing” it cannot do so and tells me nothing is playing. Therefore at present I can only engage the Sonos speakers for music by using the Sonos app.

Anyone have similar experience? Any way to fix this mess?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As a software update involves a reboot of your Sonos devices, I suspect duplicate IP addresses.  Please see my post: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

Thank you for the helpful reply. I’ll address the IP address sequence issue and let you know how this goes - and will also follow your 2nd advice piece re sometimes red wine helps. Cheers!