Answered

Alexa no longer playing music thru Sonos after change of wifi router

• 14 January 2018
  • 13 replies

Hi - I've just changed my wifi router (we now have fibre broadband instead of ADSL, and needed new router to enable this), but now I have problems streaming music and radio via Alexa.

Before this change, our two Sonos Ones (in different rooms) worked fine with built-in Alexa, as did our stereo pair of Sonos Play:1s with our Echo Dot.

Following the change of router, I've updated SSIDs / passwords accordingly, but have now found that whilst Alexa responds to me on all devices (it will tell me the time, etc.), it will not play music / radio (when I ask it to do so, it will say e.g. "BBC Radio 1 from TuneIn playing on Living Room", but doesn't actually play it).

My Sonos system still works fine for all rooms if I operate it via the Sonos app (e.g. I can play BBC Radio 1 from TuneIn, and music from Spotify, etc., if ask it to do so via the app).

This is true of all devices, apart from one of our Sonos Ones which WILL play e.g. radio as a result of voice command, but it won't stop as it did before (e.g. via "Alexa: stop").

So each (Sonos and Alexa) has functionality, but they won't work together as they did before. I haven't changed any of my pre-existing Amazon or Sonos usernames / passwords; they're all as they were before. I'm on PlusNet here in the UK, so it's their standard fibre broadband router I've changed to. I have a Standard set-up for my Sonos system.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what might be the matter? I could go for full re-install (factory reset, etc.), but would obviously rather avoid (and don't know if that would resolve problem anyway!)
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 14 January 2018, 15:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Richard

First off, I suggest that you open the Alexa App and select Skills>Your Skills>Sonos then 'Disable' followed by 'Enable'.

If the problem persists, please select the Alexa App (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk) and then Smart Home>Devices and scroll to the bottom of the list, then select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'. WARNING: If you've set-up any Alexa Routines, this will delete ALL Actions in ALL Routines!
Brilliant - thank you UKMedia, your first suggestion worked a treat - I just disabled, then enabled, the Sonos skill in the Alexa app, as you suggested. Good to be back in business - thank you!
Badge
I’m having the same problem and sadly this didn’t work for me, any other suggestions ukmedia?
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Please follow the steps, I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126

Let us know how you get on.
Badge
4 zones all working spot on now, only problem now is one zone that will follow every Alexa command expect pause music. Strange
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
4 zones all working spot on now, only problem now is one zone that will follow every Alexa command expect pause music. Strange

Great news 🙂 Can you check the Alexa App>Settings>History and make sure that Alexa heard you correctly when using the problem zone? The other thing would be to power down that device for 2-3 mins and then power back on. Are you set-up in Boost mode or standard?
Badge
Turning the players off seems to be working. What I’d boost mode?
Thanks for your help.
Badge
Did some reading, it’s not currently boosted because now I’m on fibre the routers moved locations and I’ll have to patch a device in at the weekend. Thanks again
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Did some reading, it’s not currently boosted because now I’m on fibre the routers moved locations and I’ll have to patch a device in at the weekend. Thanks again

If you connect any of your Sonos devices to an Ethernet cable remember to remove your Wi-Fi credentials in the Sonos App and select 'Reset'. This will ensure that all your devices connect via SonosNet.
Badge
So, I’m having no end of trouble with Sonos and Alexa now after changing my isp and router. Alexa has been working great since November but now I’m ready to bin the lot.

What I’ve got:
1 Sonos playbar only unit connected hard to the router,
2 rear play 1s as left and right
1 play 1 in the bathroom
1 play 1 in the kitchen
1 play 3 in the bedroom.
1 echo dot in living room
1 echo dot in bedroom.
Spotify premium

Problems I’ve got.
Alexa won’t do as she’s told. She won’t pause, skip, or sometimes even play on Sonos devices.

Things I’ve tried. In order.

Disable Sonos skill in Alexa app.
Remove all players from Alexa app.
Turn all Sonos players off.
Turn players back on after a few minutes, one at a time starting with the play bar and 2 rear play 1s, whilst waiting for each to appear in the Sonos app.
Turn the Sonos skill back on in the Alexa app and rediscover all players.
When Alexa doesn’t work on a player, I.e will play music on kitchen but will not pause or skip. I turn that player off and back on after a couple of minutes. This solves the problem but the problem moves to the next player. After I’ve done this with all players, and all is working well, the problem will start again on a player and the loop begins again.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So, I’m having no end of trouble with Sonos and Alexa now after changing my isp and router. Alexa has been working great since November but now I’m ready to bin the lot.

What I’ve got:
1 Sonos playbar only unit connected hard to the router,
2 rear play 1s as left and right
1 play 1 in the bathroom
1 play 1 in the kitchen
1 play 3 in the bedroom.
1 echo dot in living room
1 echo dot in bedroom.
Spotify premium

Problems I’ve got.
Alexa won’t do as she’s told. She won’t pause, skip, or sometimes even play on Sonos devices.

Things I’ve tried. In order.

Disable Sonos skill in Alexa app.
Remove all players from Alexa app.
Turn all Sonos players off.
Turn players back on after a few minutes, one at a time starting with the play bar and 2 rear play 1s, whilst waiting for each to appear in the Sonos app.
Turn the Sonos skill back on in the Alexa app and rediscover all players.
When Alexa doesn’t work on a player, I.e will play music on kitchen but will not pause or skip. I turn that player off and back on after a couple of minutes. This solves the problem but the problem moves to the next player. After I’ve done this with all players, and all is working well, the problem will start again on a player and the loop begins again.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Hi

Three things to check:

1/ As you don't have any Sonos One's in your set-up can you confirm that you are including the name of the room that you are trying to control? e.g 'Alexa, next on Kitchen'

2/ Check that you don't have any duplicate device names within Alexa>Smart Home>Devices? I personally use the naming convention 'Room Name + Device Type', as this makes it easier for infrequent users to remember device names and removes the possibility of duplicates. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc

3/ As you have a new router and you have been rebooting your devices alot, there is a fair chance that you have got duplicate IP addressed across some of your devices. I recommend reserving IP addresses for your Sonos devices. Please check these steps: I don't know your IP address range for DHCP but if you open your Router settings and look for your DHCP IP Address Range ( Mine is192.168.0.5 - 192.168.0.239 as I reserve the first five for static IP addresses of my network switches etc and the last 15 for my NAS devices) I then reserve an IP address in my Router settings within the range of 192.168.0.200 - 192.168.0.239 for all of my Sonos devices. This ensures that if at any time I need to re-boot my router or Sonos devices I get a consistent and unique IP address.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Disabling the speaker and re enabling the sonos one speaker in smart home on Alexa app fixed it for me.
Many thanks for your most helpful response to the OP. I had a very similar problem after a change of router, and it was driving me nuts that my Sonos one said it was playing, but then didn’t! All sorted now. Yay ???