Alexa just decided to stop working and her voice has changed

• 17 December 2017
  • 12 replies

Badge
trying to sort out Alexa, again. Not having any luck. She wouldn't play my music so on fiddling I spotted I had my sonos one registered with her twice. so deleted one of them. I only have one device. So now not sure if that linked but when I say 'Alexa' her voice has changed to another American accent and she says 'sorry I am having trouble understanding right now, try a little later..' WHY!?? I now cant get her to work at all. help pls. I have two little boys who want to use her she was a bday present.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi KJD

There are meant to be two devices within Alexa App>Settings. One is the Sonos Player and the other is the Alexa component. If you select Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Discover it will add the device that you deleted back again. Then select Alexa App>Settings>Your Sonos One and set the Device Location.

If Alexa is still speaking in an American accent then open the Sonos App on Android or iOS and select Settings>Room Settings>Your Sonos One>Voice Services and Log in. You can now change the Wake Language to English (UK).

Birthday present should be back to normal now 🙂
Badge
I have tried this. My wake word language is set to to English (UK) but Alexa still has an American accent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you set the device location correctly in Alexa App>Settings>Devices>{Your Sonos One}>Device Location?
Badge
Yes, location is UK but still American accent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you please check your profile address in www.sonos.com
Badge
Have checked and I do have correct address in profile as "United Kingdom", but I note this is a free text field. Is that the right term to use?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you follow the steps in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126
Badge
Thanks. I have tried points 1 and 2 without success - still American accent. One thing puzzles me, In the Alexa app under Smart Home I only one device "Office" the name I have given my Sonos 1. However, In Settings/Devices, as well as "Office" I also have "This Device" and "Steve's Sonos One". Only this latter device says "Online". If I click on any of them the set up info is the same. What is going on here? I presume I should only have "Office" and that should be online?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You will see two devices, one is for the Sonos Speaker and the other is for the Alexa component. At present the settings are virtually identical but this allows for specific settings to be made that relate to only one component of the Sonos One in the future.

Please try point 3.
Badge
Thanks UK Media. Although Step 3 doesn't go quite as written it does seem to have worked and I do have my UK English voice back. A great relief!:
I had the exact same problem, tried all sorts, then finally last night I removed voice service from Sonos ONE (using the SONOS app) - added it back in and now it works as it should.
Where are the 11 replies to this issue