Answered

Alexa in Australia ; workaround

• 5 February 2018
  • 18 replies

I'd expected that Sonos would have timed their Australian release to Amazon's but apparently not. No ETA from what I can see either.

Has the community found any workarounds?
icon

Best answer by woodynet 5 February 2018, 05:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

If you have Sonos kit with a line in jack, wiring a Dot to it is the simplest one and in some ways this works better in terms of features and ease of use than the Sonos release that does the job wirelessly - even in the US.

If you don't have line in jacks there are workarounds to try if you google for them, but be aware that server comm delays between Amazon servers and Sonos servers may render them a not very happy user experience. That is what I discovered in India; the Amazon stand alone Alexa works very well here, but the Sonos version does not. Which infrastructure based reason is why Sonos has not released Alexa in India as well, I suspect. Or even in next door Canada for that matter.
With line in jacks, you can even opt for Google instead of Amazon. At this time you do need a cheap Chromecast Audio dongle though, wired to the line in jack of Sonos. Then the Google Home/Mini will work today as well, wirelessly, and there are many that prefer the user experience of voice control offered by Google over Amazon. What Sonos will achieve when they release their promised in 2018 Google integration is making the Chromecast and Line in jacks unnecessary.

I would not be surprised at all to see the Sonos Google offering available before the Sonos Alexa one in distant countries because I strongly suspect that it will not rely on matching Sonos server infrastructure. Unfortunately Sonos will not say anything on this to confirm or deny it.
Thanks Kumar.

I've got two Amazon Echo's now, a Play1 & Play 5. The 5 has a line in but that's coming from the TV so there's not much I can do here for either.

I know I'm not the only one in Australia with this issue. I did some research on it before ordering, but didn't consider that the functionality was limited to US only. They need to sort it out. They've got a relationship with Amazon via Sonos One... sort it out.
I doubt Amazon has to do anything here; Sonos has to match the global server infrastructure reach of Amazon, to stay in step with the global deployment of Alexa because every voice command to Sonos at every home involves comms between Amazon cloud servers and those of Sonos. Perhaps Sonos could hire the necessary bit of server infrastructure from Amazon? Why don't you bend the ears of the Sonos CEO about this?
Thanks Kumar.

I know I'm not the only one in Australia with this issue. I did some research on it before ordering, but didn't consider that the functionality was limited to US only.

Totally with you on this one Byron, I purchased yesterday from JB HI FI after see all the adds for the "Spartspeaker" I have been using my Alexa for timer's routines and Hue Lights so was really looking forward to replacing it with this speaker. I have a perfectly good working Amazon Echo at home now so why its not working with the Sonos is beyond me. The Google Assistant better come through as a simple firmware update. So I take it no one still has a workaround ?
I doubt Amazon has to do anything here;
Why don't you bend the ears of the Sonos CEO about this?

Yup, that's what I meant. It's a Sonos issue to fix. As for infrastructure, I'd expect Sonos host their infrastructure on AWS. Would love to, next time I bump into Paddy at the local I'll have a quiet word.
I've tried Yonomi, but it seems pretty limited and struggled to get it to work. I'll keep trying though.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Just found that Sonos as an Alexa Skill is not available here in Australia yet. Shame. My Dot and Sonos are all ready to go. No ETA?
Just found that Sonos as an Alexa Skill is not available here in Australia yet. Shame. My Dot and Sonos are all ready to go. No ETA?

I read somewhere that Sonos hope to bring it in first half of 2018, and then someone like a Community Manager further stated they hoped around March to May - don't quote me on that 😃 it's on a thread here somewhere I read this week.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I read somewhere that Sonos hope to bring it in first half of 2018, and then someone like a Community Manager further stated they hoped around March to May - don't quote me on that 😃 it's on a thread here somewhere I read this week.

Cheers. Seems like a long time. I’ve noticed that Amazon Music isn’t even available to add as a music service. Wish I hadn’t started my 90 day free trial now.

Cheers. Seems like a long time. I’ve noticed that Amazon Music isn’t even available to add as a music service. Wish I hadn’t started my 90 day free trial now.

Oh? I thought it is released. I thought I saw the service under Music and Sounds in the Alexa app as a service you can default to. Or is this Sonos you're talking about? I have to say that it sounds like Amazon and Sonos don't talk to each other about upcoming releases and planning for them to be available. Both services could get good marketing out of it on day 1 of the Alexa release and the Amazon Unlimited music service on the Sonos. Well, an opportunity lost, is another app/service gain for people who are pondering which app/service/speakers to purchase.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Oh? I thought it is released. I thought I saw the service under Music and Sounds in the Alexa app as a service you can default to. Or is this Sonos you're talking about? I have to say that it sounds like Amazon and Sonos don't talk to each other about upcoming releases and planning for them to be available. Both services could get good marketing out of it on day 1 of the Alexa release and the Amazon Unlimited music service on the Sonos. Well, an opportunity lost, is another app/service gain for people who are pondering which app/service/speakers to purchase.

Sorry. To clarify Amazon Music can’t be added to Sonos yet as a music service.
I suggest we submit 'constant' support requests to Sonos and Amazon - that may get their attention.
Agreed. If so so really wants to stay ahead of google, apple pod and Alexa they have to intergrate and I won’t continue to use amazon music if it doesn’t integrate more effectively in Australia. Very poor form on both cases.
Official statement is Amazon Alexa integration is to be implemented at the end of May 2018. I have clients with Sonos One's where we designed the homes to use Alexa integration into the control system to automate everything but had to add Echo Dots because Amazon dropped the ball... They have just about zero market share in Australia with good reason.. though as an integrator the cheap voice control is very beneficial.
The funny thing is, I bought my echo and dots before they where available in in Australia and it worked fine with my Sonos system. When Amazon released the Australian app the Sonos integration broke.
The funny thing is, I bought my echo and dots before they where available in in Australia and it worked fine with my Sonos system. When Amazon released the Australian app the Sonos integration broke.
Yeah I bought mine when Gen2 came out on B&H, Uber and other apps worked straight away also. The reason it worked for you is your unit was 100% using the US servers still so the firmware was still US based and their system still works with Sonos already. We don't have the mirror servers yet but a month to go now... I don't see how they can get Google assistant AND Alexa as Google have said they will not work with any company that integrates Alexa... They advertised Alexa so I think that is all that will be coming.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have had a number Alexa products for quite a while now, and they are also connected to my home RTI automation. My Alexa setup is still configured as US devices which provides the Sonos integration, only issue is I can’t use any of the local Australian skills content, although it does know where I live so weather etc works fine. Looking forward to having Sonos on as an Aussie services and migrating it all over.