Question

Alexa groups

• 25 November 2017
  • 5 replies

I have 4 x play 1's and Sonos ONE these are all located in different parts of the house. on the Alexa app I have created a group called everywhere and added all the speakers to that group.

If I ask Alexa to play xyz everywhere it says it cant find a device or group called everywhere to create a group go to the settings in your Alexa app.

When I go to the app the group is already there and created, I have tried deleting the group and reforming it but still get the same message.

What I am trying to do is simply create a grouping of speakers and get Alexa to my Spotify playlist through that group.

Is this possible ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I have the same issue. Made a groups in the Alexa app. Unsure if this is supposed to work at this point.... looks like it doesn’t yet.
Hi Craig and night... I was testing my system today as I had the same issue. I am assuming you have setup your devices thru amazon alexa and you can see them. OK.... here goes, in my devices in alexa I have kitchen, living room, master bedroom, office, & patio. REMEMBER, SONOS is the primary system! In SONOS, you know how to group rooms? Well, I grouped OFFICE & KITCHEN (in the SONOS app) together. Then I said to Alexa "play Christmas music in the Office". Since I setup Office & the other devices Amazon Alexa, IT RECOGNIZED IT! Music played in both the Kitchen & Office, because of how I set it up in SONOS! So, whenever I want to listen to multiple rooms, I go to SONOS and group, then I say to Alexa "Alexa play jazz,fleetwood mac, etc in the (and name whatever device is in that group". I just did it for Kitchen & Patio as they are grouped together. Oh, if you want to add another speaker to that group, just go thru Sonos. If you don't want the music anymore, say to Alexa, "alexa turn off the music in the Kitchen (my example)". Hope this helps
Thanks Ready 2 I now have them set up as per your example just thought it would have been good to be able to use Alexa groups as these can be saved.
Trying a similar thing I only find the echo dots I have to add to an Alexa group. Should the Sonos devices show up too?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Trying a similar thing I only find the echo dots I have to add to an Alexa group. Should the Sonos devices show up too?

Thanks!

Hi

Amazon didn't support 3rd party speakers within Alexa Groups, although they have now released the SDK to enable this but Sonos haven't committed to a time line. The consequence of this is that you can not group Echo Dots and Sonos players together for synchronised audio output from Sonos. The only way to have voice control over multiple Sonos Players is to group them in the Sonos App and then request music on any one of the Players within that group.