Answered

Alexa geographical restriction only with Sonos

• 20 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I wonder if you could tell me when will Sonos begin working with Alexa in Chile.

I red a lot of comments related to Amazon servers capability, but I disagree. If the problem were Amazon servers, how could be possible for Amazon Dot or Amazon Echo Dot to work in Chile so well?

I feel that Sonos is not interested in making an effort to solve this because we are a small market. 

What a shame! :pensive:

icon

Best answer by James L. 23 August 2021, 09:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge +17

Hi @gi_or_gio,

Unfortunately, Alexa isn’t available on Sonos in Chile. Amazon are the deciding party when it comes to expanding their service to new regions on third-party platforms, such as Sonos. We’re working hard with the team at Amazon to bring support to additional regions, but we don’t have any news to share about support for Chile at this time. I’ll be happy to pass your request for Alexa on Sonos in Chile to our team for consideration :slight_smile:

But is the same problem with Google assistant. I have both: Google and Alexa, and they are working very well on their owndevices without restrictions; but when I tried to connect Sonos to them, it is not possible.

I think Sonos must try harder to solve differences with their partners. 

It has taken much time...

Try changing your profile on Sonos as well as on Amazon. Put in a USA address. You can keep your email and phone number as it is. Once you have done this, Sonos will let you add Alexa. 

Try changing your profile on Sonos as well as on Amazon. Put in a USA address. You can keep your email and phone number as it is. Once you have done this, Sonos will let you add Alexa. 

I tried to do this a year ago, but I had problems with Spotify and Sonos Radio… they did not work. I think they might detect that I’m not located on USA territory.

I tried to do this a year ago, but I had problems with Spotify and Sonos Radio… they did not work. I think they might detect that I’m not located on USA territory.

It is not an Amazon server issue - it is the Sonos decision not to add server capability to properly serve Chile by integrating, without latency, with Amazon servers meant for Chile and there is little you can do. If the Echo works well in Chile, this is not an Amazon issue as the Sonos reply to your post tries to suggest.

I have solved my identical problem in India by using Echo devices that are wire connected to my Sonos system, but I am able to do that because I have enough Sonos units with line in jacks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Kumar When you put the blame for this on Sonos, especially after they have expressly denied being responsible, you could at least provide some proof for your statement. Can you post a link?

No can do because linking may violate someone’s beta testing NDA, I suspect. In my case, the latency issue discussed was for Alexa Sonos skill non-release in India, but I see no reason why the same reason would not apply for Chile.

By the way, you should not fall into the trap of thinking that Sonos staff here are infallible; they are not, and often resort to boiler plate templates while responding, and can be wanting in their understanding of what is really happening. I have found this more than once. And passing on the buck to outside Sonos is a standard response template, often seen. 

But….here is a copy/paste that does not violate any NDA:

As someone who has actually rolled out a Sonos Alexa skill to India, I can tell you it is NOT just a checkbox. The India endpoints have less language features than the en-us ones so you need to adjust the schema, change the code to handle the differences, then re-test everything, plus you need to host your servers somewhere vaguely close to India else the latency is a killer. You also need to stand-up a permanent test system in each geography in order for Amazon to test against every month or so, else they disable your service. Just some of the reasons it was easier to pull my entire Alexa skill then try to keep it running.

I am pretty sure that Sonos does not do all of this for the Alexa skill for India for similar reasons, with India not being large enough a market for them to justify this effort. Which is fair enough, but passing this buck to Amazon for what is missing from Sonos in India as has been done in this thread? Not worthy. Amazon sees India as their biggest future growth opportunity in the world, being locked out of China, and have even released new Echo products here before anywhere else in the world.