Answered

Alexa, Family Apple Music and Sonos?

• 16 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
  • Prodigy III
  • 324 replies

So, just given my Daughter a Sonos One for her bed room to add to the other Sonos devices around the house.

Prior to this, all Sonos devices, Alexa and Apple Music accounts in the house were all mine.

But she has her Apple Music playlist and stuff on her iPhone… so she needs to use her Apple Music account….. so far so good!

Register Sonos One to MY account 

Add My Daughter’s Apple Music account to Sonos

she can now use the Sonos app with her Apple Music profile

But I can’t figure out the next step of linking her Alexa account AND her Apple Music to the Sonos One.

From what I can find on the web talks about linking an Echo device to a child’s Amazon account but the options for this does not seem to be available in the Alexa App so I can’t then add her Apple account to Alexa

Any ideas how to manage different users within the same house and multiple Apple Music accounts?

I would be OK for her to have my Alexa account on the Sonos One, but really need her Apple Music to be on the speaker…. so we don’t get cut off when the other plays music….. also I don’t want her music recommendations popping up on my account and I am sure she thinks the same about my music! 🤣

icon

Best answer by BMF 16 January 2020, 22:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I’m pretty sure you can only link Sonos and Alexa together in a one to one relationship.  So as I understand you would need to do the following:

1 - Setup her Apple acocunt on your Sonos. (which you did)

2 - Setup her Apple account on your Amazon/Alexa account (this can be done, right?  You can have 2 Apple music accounts on the same Alexa account)?

3 - Have you and your daughter (and other family members) go through the training to have Alexa learn your voice and associate the right Apple accounts with the right person.  Pretty sure this can be done, but never messed with it myself.

Perhaps an easier way would be to to setup her Sonos One as an entirely different Sonos account, Alexa account, and Apple account.  She would not be able to use her music outside of her room, and you can’t group her room with everything else when you do that, but it is possible.

Or, have it all on one Sonos account and have her play her music by airplay only.

I understand your pain though.  My son is addicted to country music, and I have a limited tolerance.  He has a separated Amazon account, but it’s not integrated into Sonos or Alexa at all right now.  I should look into this as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

My son is addicted to country music, and I have a limited tolerance.  

Genuine LOL at that comment👍

1 - Setup her Apple account on your Sonos. (which you did)

Yep, done this without any issues, apart from you have to do it on their phone as it seems to only allow the Apple Music Account that is on the device.

So set up Sonos (my Account) on her phone, then add her Apple Music account on her phone.

This works great from a Sonos App perspective

2 - Setup her Apple account on your Amazon/Alexa account (this can be done, right?  You can have 2 Apple music accounts on the same Alexa account)?

I can't see a way to do this, from what I can find you are only allowed one extra person in the household to have “Adult” status. This is already my wife. You can add Kids, which I have, but the only instructions I can find about setting up kids on Alexa seems to relate to Echo devices, so I cannot see any options on the Sonos Alexa device …. so unable to see if I can then set up voice profiles etc.

It is not a problem with my wifes alexa account, so we now have 3 Apple Music accounts set up in Sonos…. but only 2 within Alexa.

3 - Have you and your daughter (and other family members) go through the training to have Alexa learn your voice and associate the right Apple accounts with the right person.  Pretty sure this can be done, but never messed with it myself.

I have set voice profiles for myself and wife as the adults, but can't seem to get the options for my daughter, i am wondering if this is a combination of Adult vs Kids account AND a limitation on Sonos as opposed to full blown echo speakers, in the same way that drop in is limited to echo devices?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Just checked the Amazon Household “kids” and it does not link to an separate account eg my daughters amazon account or her email so I can't set up her voice profile etc

Kids do not look like a real account.

I checked out the instructions again for setting up kids on echo and the options are not there on our echo dots either.

Think I will contact Amazon to ask them 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

spoke to Amazon and you can only have 2 Alexa accounts and “kids” accounts do not work.

so looks like she will have to use the App or Airplay

Well, it would have been nice if you could set it up that way.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@melvimbe sorry, looks like you will have to carry on listening to Country 

@melvimbe sorry, looks like you will have to carry on listening to Country 

Actually, I think I’ll be good.  I’m not married, so my son can be the second adult in Alexa.  Daughter much prefers her headphones.

I don’t dislike country….I just don’t want to hear it all the time.