Question

Alexa does not work with my new Sonos Port

• 7 February 2020
  • 22 replies

Badge

I had a Sonos Connect in my system and it worked with my Alexa Echo very well….. recently I upgraded to the new SONOS port….. Now whenever I select Pandora and a station Alexa turns on the Port and I get my music in my office but within 2 minutes it stops playing….. I can turn it on with my phone app and it will play for hours. I can ask Alexa to play Tuned in radio and a local station and it will play for hours but as soon as switch and I have Alexa play Pandora in my office it will play for less than one song and stop playing…. I have no idea why and I have no problems with anything from the App or Tuned in radio. Only Pandora…. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Hey @Cannonball1227, thanks for the post and welcome to the Sonos Community.

I understand that is seems like Pandora plays audio for about a song then quits. It also seems that you aren’t having this issue with other services.

Would it be possible to provide me with a diagnostic report of your Sonos  system? After replying with the confirmation number, I would be happy to take a look further into the system..

Badge

Confirmation number 130060232

When the music stops, does the Port itself stop playing audio? As it seems that you are using the Echo to command the Sonos units to play and the issue is staying with the third-party voice service.

Are you able to reboot all of these players? The only errors I am seeing on the diagnostic have to do with the DNS server. 

Additionally, how exactly are you asking Alexa to play Pandora? Are you a premium user of Pandora? 

Badge

Adam,

When I use the Echo to turn on the tuned in radio everything works fine and plays a long time

When I use the Echo to play Pandora it selects it fine and starts the play, then about 1-3 min it stops

When I use my phone app to turn on Pandora on the Move it plays fine….

Everything worked fine with my older connect but rebooting the move and the Echo has not changed anything.

I ask Alexa " Alexa Play Pandora in Office” and she replied “playing 80’s alternative radio in office”, and it turns on. I have the Move named Office because thets the stereo it is connected to. I dont know why it stops or what is giving a stop playing Pandora command to the move because it simply stops playing. However this does not happen using the app on our phones. And it will not happen when I ask Alexa to play tuned in radio… same devices different channel or command one works the other works then stops

Doug

Userlevel 7

HI Cannonball1227

Not exactly sure what you mean by this statement... "I have the Move named Office because thets the stereo it is connected to”. The Move doesn’t physically connect to anything. :thinking:

I suggest you try this:

1. Make sure your Move is on the charging ring and connected to your Wi-Fi
  2. Sign out of your Pandora Account
  3. Delete the Pandora Skill from Alexa
  4. Sign out of Alexa
  5. Delete the Alexa App and reinstall it
  6. Sign into Alexa
  7. Sign into your Pandora account
  8. Setup the Pandora Skill in Alexa
  9. Test Pandora using the Alexa voice command to Play on your Move (Office)

Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

Badge

Im sorry, I meant the Port. I have a play bar named “Show room” and the Port is renamed “Office”.

I dont have an Alexa App.

The Sonos app on my phone works fine controlling tuned in radio and Pandora

When I use my Echo it controls the Port fine using Tuned In radio and it will play for hours, but when I have Alexa turn on the Pandora from the echo the Pandora stops playing after half a song… I can turn it on with my app and it plays until I stop it . I have completely reconfigured the Echo twice. I didnt have this issue with the Connect is had in this same location for 2 years, I upgraded to the Port and have not been able to get it to work with the Echo controlling Pandora since. But it controls Tuned in Radio just fine, and thats the crazy part.

Upon looking a little deeper at the diagnostic you have submitted, I do see that you may wirelessly connecting to an access point. Is that the case?

The port is receiving a weaker signal than the Playbar and I would like to know how the communication line is functioning when a Sonos unit is hardwired directly into the Arris router. 

Following this test, please respond with a diagnostic number so I am able to take a look. Thanks again for the follow up!

Badge

The Port is sitting right where the Connect used to be, on the same shelf as the Arris router literally 6” away from the wireless router on the same rack shelf. I now have it connected to the network switch directly. The Playbar is 30’ away from the router in another room. The Echo is not hard wired and about 15’ away in the next room. the diagnostic # is 1696046980

Is the issue present when hardwired to the switch?

If so, You would need to connect to the router and not the switch.

I want you to bypass any layers that may stand between Sonos and the network.

Hardwiring into the router directly and not the switch would be our step moving forward.

Badge

Alexa is unable to play many of my saved saved radio stations in Pandora in office (the Port) I am however able to play them and see all of them with my sonos app on my phone. I can instruct Alexa to play radio stations on tuned in radio on the Port just fine, but when I ask “Alexa Play adult contemporary radio on Pandora in office” something totally different plays and will be a repeatable issue. If I ask “Alexa play 80’s alternative radio on Pandora in office” it plays that station from my station list just fine….. 

Now as for the wiring to the router…. I have only one port out on the router, if I wire the Port directly to the router how do I then wire the rest of my network to the router? AND if the new Port is right next to the router and WIFI access and you say the WIFI connection is poor on the port why does the Playbar which is in a completely different room 30’ away have a better connection on the WIFI than the new Port? The old Connect worked just fine in this same location using only WIFI

Music however played fine for 2 hours connected to the Switch, And it has also been staying playing now with the Port’s hard wired Lan disconnected and back on WIFI for the last hour too, So I dont really think this is a Hard wire connection issue to the router…..

the entire Sonos system the Playbar and Port are both on WIFI the old Connect was on WIFI as well for over 2 years. I find it strange the the New Port will not work in this same configuration using WIFI only 6” from the WIFI Router.

Thanks for all the additional info.

I also saw from the diagnostic that only the Playbar has been linked to Alexa’s service. Have you linked the Port in the same way?

If you are not sure, navigate to Settings>Services>Alexa

Make sure that both Sonos players are showing up as listed under “Alexa”.

Run through the addition process and let’s see if you are asked to link the Port. If you are, proceed and finish the process.

Finally, submit another diagnostic so I would be able to check out the results.

Badge

so reading what you have written does not make sense to me…. Settings>Services>   WHERE? in the sonos app? there is nothing….. 

Under our Alexa account there is two devices listed office (the Port) and show room TV (playbar) they both are clearly in the account we have even deleted them and re added them. 

I dont understand what you mean run thru the addition process and see if im asked to link the port…. run thru the addition process where? Link the port to what?  in the sonos app it clearly shows the sonos Port aka office and The Sonos Playbar aka show room tv   in the alexa device list it shows the office (Port) and showroom tv (Playbar) 

diagnostic # 1858234042  

Considering that the two rooms should be listed in the Alexa section under Services with the Sonos app (whether they show up in the Alexa app or not) I would like you to provide a screenshot of the menu in the Sonos app.

In the Sonos app, Settings is a option to the lower right. Inside this selection, Services should be listed.

If you do not see that, please provide an additional screenshot of the Settings menu.

Badge

the devices are in the settings on my phone app but they are not under services…. they are in the System tab and shows Office (Port0 and Showroom TV (Play Bar)

when I go to services all I see is Voice with nothing and Music and Content that has  Amazon Music, Iheart Radio, and Pandora….. i do not see anything listed anywhere that says Alexa 

this is configured exactly the same as it was with my old connect before switching to the port 

xactly the same as it was with my old Connect before switching to the Port

The Services section is where I could tell if Alexa is successfully linked.

From the screenshot, I can see  that Sonos players are not currently linked to the Alexa account on our side. 

I would like you to proceed with adding the Alexa voice service again and make sure both rooms are chosen to have the voice service linked.

After this process, please take the same screenshot of the Services tab. Alexa should be listed along with the rooms.

Badge

I have never had an Alexa app or service on the Sonos. the system has been working with my Echo for over a year and now with the new port its not . It will start the Sonos Port playing Pandora but something stops it…. but I never have it stop when I turn it on from my phone and all other services work fine too from either the Echo or the Sonos App 

Our supported setup would include having the Sonos players linked with the Alexa service in our app. 

If the Sonos is not recognized or linked on our app, the commands being carried out would be sourced completely through Amazon’s cloud.

It may be best to contact their support for further instructions.

Our other option would be to have you give us a call, so we can troubleshoot live.

Badge

whats the number to call live for help because we have linked it and it never shows up on the sonos app under services 

thanks

Doug

I have created a link in my last reply under “give us a call.”

If you are not able to pull that up, I would be happy to send you a DM with the number.

Hi

I’m using Alexa where I manage Group of Alexa speakers. Seems that I cannot add Sonos Port in the Alexa Group???

Can someone confirm me if t’s possible or not?? 

Hi

I’m using Alexa where I manage Group of Alexa speakers. Seems that I cannot add Sonos Port in the Alexa Group???

Can someone confirm me if t’s possible or not?? 

Yes, the Sonos Port can be setup in a Alexa Group as either a device (for ducking) and as a preferred speaker.    Have you added the Sonos skill to Alexa yet?

Yes I added the Sonos skill.  Sonos port works with Alexa as a stand alone speaker but seems thatcannot be part of the group.

From Alexa when I trying to add speakers in the group do not appear Sonos Port.