Alexa dipping sound in other rooms

• 26 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Hi,

How do you stop Alexa dipping the sound in other rooms? If I'm in the living room listening to music and someone in the kitchen asks Alexa a question, it makes the volume dip in the living room.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Please answer Jenktronics someone. 3 kids in the house constantly chatting to Alexa. Drives me mad when I'm listening to music
Badge +3
Thats standard behavour at the moment as the system cant currently tell which speakers are where in relation to the echo device.
But they have indicated that it's something they're looking at to figure out some sort of resolution.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hopefully there'll be a solution soon. I also have three kids, all talking to Alexa in different rooms, which makes it impossible for me to enjoy my music. Drives me nuts....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can disable a speaker from the Alexa support. That speaker would lose alexa control but it would also stop ducking. If you delete it from the amazon app ... smart home section.

I have several speakers I have no desire to do voice control with (my playbar especially) that I deleted from the smart home section and thus they do not duck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also - if using Sonos One to issue command to Alexa - it only ducks the Sonos One.

And that is the solution Sonos has said they are pursuing. If they can have each Sonos speaker assigned as default to an alexa device - then the alexa device would only duck that one speaker (and you also wouldn't have to say room name after a voice command to play to that speaker).
Last post was 7 months ago. Any update? We've got Alexa control that works great in our living room, but our kids playroom also has an Alexa unit and Sonos speakres. And when the kids use that alexa to play trivia games -- it interrupts the music in the living room every 20 seconds. It's driving me insane. The rooms are two stories apart, how can I maintain sonos/alexa integration on both floors, but not have the alexa in the playroom lower the volume in the living room? Or can I turn off audio ducking altogether?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We are expecting a lot of alexa changes and fixes coming this fall.
Userlevel 2
it's DECEMBER!!!!!! When will the ducking "feature" disable option be available????? we're tired of waiting, only for you to say "you're working on it"???!!!!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Still nothing new on this ? I have to remove my Sonos in the Living room completely from Alexa every time I want to listen to music as the constant ducking is driving me mad when the kids talk to Alexa in their rooms. Unfortunately the App constantly re-discovers it. Hopefully this will not be the case when we finally get google home integration and I can delete the Sonos plugin from Alexa all together and swap Alexa on the Beam over to Google.
Still nothing new on this ? I have to remove my Sonos in the Living room completely from Alexa every time I want to listen to music as the constant ducking is driving me mad when the kids talk to Alexa in their rooms. Unfortunately the App constantly re-discovers it. Hopefully this will not be the case when we finally get google home integration and I can delete the Sonos plugin from Alexa all together and swap Alexa on the Beam over to Google.

Been fixed for over 2 weeks:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588/index1.html