Alexa creating duplicate offline speakers

• 13 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, I bought Beam and Sonos One last week, was working brilliantly for one week with Alexa, but this morning stopped working with Alexa. Have done everything….reset wifi, reset both speakers, logged out of all amazon accounts, deregistered devices on amazon website, in app etc. cleared apps data,uninstalled apps, renamed speakers, etc etc etc. Everytime I try to add Alexa voice assistant within Sonos app, it doesn’t (kicks back into sonos app after logging into alexa, but alexa doesn’t show up in sonos app), but in the Alexa app there appears an offline device suffixed second edition. if anyone can help please, much appreciated.   

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Orbital99, welcome to the Sonos Community!

There was an issue last weekend with Alexa that other users also experienced, from looking at the replies in other threads this should now be resolved and can be fixed by removing the Sonos skill in the Alexa app and re-adding it.

I hope this information helps!

Hi @Jamie A and thanks for the information, unfortunately it still doesn’t work after following those steps. If I disable and re-enable the sonos skill and go through the linking account procedure there is still no control. The speakers appear in Alexa, and not as offline, but there is no Alexa control over them. Then going over to the Sonos app, the Alex doesn’t appear to be ‘installed’, so when I try to do this the and confirm ‘Allow’ on the Alexa website pop up the phone returns to the Sonos app, but the Alexa voice assistant still isn’t shown as added - however then going to the Alexa app after doing this there appears the speaker added as ‘offline’ as a duplicate of the speaker which appears below in the list, but which isn’t controllable. The only other thing I’m going to try later is another phone as mine is quite old/ancient/belongs in a museum, running android 10 - and if I can get it to work I’ll buy a new phone and if not I’ll get a new system! Sonos tech support on Monday were extremely helpful though and otherwise love the product. 

Hi @Jamie A 

My Beam and One still isn't working with Alexa. I can add speakers within the Alexa app, and they appear in the Alexa app, online but uncontrollable by voice. When trying to add the Alexa voice assistant in the Sonos app it creates duplicate offline speakers in the Alexa app, which can't be controlled, and the voice assistant doesn't appear to have been added in the Sonos app. All worked couple weeks ago, and stopped on 14th. Have now tried absolutely everything, disabling and enabling the sonos skill, resetting the router, checking the IP addresses in the router, trying with a different phone device etc etc. There are obviously some settings somewhere causing my issue. I've had enough! Only had them couple of weeks so they are going back to the shop and I'll get another brand. Unfortunate as otherwise really happy with them

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Orbital99,

I’m not sure if you’ve sent them back already, but from looking at what you’ve done already, I think fully removing Alexa from Sonossubmitting a diagnostics, then reaching out to our support team to see why Alexa isn’t linking correctly would be the best next steps for you. The steps to fully remove Alexa are:

1. Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
  2. Tap on the More menu in the bottom right.
  3. Tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill.
  4. Deregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by following the instructions on Amazon's website: Deregistering a device.
  5. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice and select Amazon Alexa under Voice. Select the voice-enabled product from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove Alexa.
  6. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, including the Amazon app, Alexa app, and Amazon.com in your mobile browser. This ensures Alexa uses the correct Amazon account.
  7. Using the Sonos app, complete Alexa setup again. Follow the steps to log into the appropriate Amazon account when prompted to do so.
  8. Once completed, try giving Alexa another command.

Sonos devices showing offline in the Alexa app is solved by disabling/re-enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app, but seeing as you’ve done this multiple times without it being resolved, getting a diagnostics and checking with out support team is the next steps I’d recommend if you’re still interested in keeping your Sonos Beam and Sonos One.