Answered

Alexa commands not working.

• 15 October 2018
  • 12 replies

Alexa will no longer start playing radio, Spotify or audible via my Sonos beam. It responds e.g. "BBC radio 4 from TuneIn" but then nothing plays. I've also contacted Amazon in case it's their problem.

Diagnostic report: 1233412052
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 25 October 2018, 20:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I have a similar problem with the Play One acknowledging the Alexa command with the tone , then the response of playing the radio by Tune In or shuffling artist from Spotify but then playing nothing.
Any suggestions ?
O.K. fixed my issue.
Opened Alexa app.
From drop down menu selected Skills and games.
Firstly it didn't load , so I had to close the app and re open.
In Skills section I chose YOUR SKILLS.
Disabled.
Enabled
Discovered and presto I'm back.
Must not have liked having latest update and needed to be re acquainted.
Hopefully SONOS are aware as this can get annoying with regular updates.
O.K. fixed my issue.
Opened Alexa app.
Disabled.
Enabled

This was not a Sonos issue. It seems Alexa went offline recently for a short time and some accounts were affected and had their token removed, or so I’m told.

A simple disable/re-enable skill and a quick scan (as you noticed) quickly fixes the issue. Not all Amazon customers were affected by the outage, just a small few.
I've fixed my issue by going into Room Settings in the Sonos app, picking the Beam speaker, then choosing to finish setting up Alexa. It seems like it forgot it had already finished setting up in the past. All working now.
Badge
O.K. fixed my issue.
Opened Alexa app.
Disabled.
Enabled

This was not a Sonos issue. It seems Alexa went offline recently for a short time and some accounts were affected and had their token removed, or so I’m told.

A simple disable/re-enable skill and a quick scan (as you noticed) quickly fixes the issue. Not all Amazon customers were affected by the outage, just a small few.

Whether Sonos issue or not, the fix worked. Thanks
No joy on either of these options. Spotify has disappeared as a skill - even if Sonos is saying “play xx on Spotify” (and nothing happens).
No joy on either of these options. Spotify has disappeared as a skill - even if Sonos is saying “play xx on Spotify” (and nothing happens).
That sounds like a bit of a different issue ... note Spotify is not a Skill per se, it’s a built in music service. So you have to goto Settings/Music in the Alexa App to link its account to your Amazon Account.

You can only use a premium type account and not a free Spotify account and it should be set as the 'default' music service in the Alexa App.
What I mean is there no relevant “skill” listed.

The following commands have stopped working - Spotify, setting alarms/timers, volume control. But some are ok - weather. All were working until recently. And all commands are appearing in the Alexa app list but nothing is happening on the devices itself.

I have unlinked Spotify (premium). Removed Alexa from all devices. Factory reset one of them to see if that helps. Signed in and out of Spotify.
"Im having trouble..." Ive installed and uninstalled. My husband and I have linked accounts on Amazon. Im not sure if its because hes signed in to the Alexa app and the Sonos account is under my name. Im lost. I dont know what to do or how to sign him out of Alexa and sign me in. We recently got an Amazon fire tv thing and I dont know if the addition of that messed things up or what. I dont know what to do.
"Im having trouble..." Ive installed and uninstalled. My husband and I have linked accounts on Amazon. Im not sure if its because hes signed in to the Alexa app and the Sonos account is under my name. Im lost. I dont know what to do or how to sign him out of Alexa and sign me in. We recently got an Amazon fire tv thing and I dont know if the addition of that messed things up or what. I dont know what to do.
Presumably only one of your Amazon accounts actually has a particular streaming music service associated with it... so if it’s your Amazon account, for example, then go to your mobile and first of all add that music service to your Sonos controller App using your usual Amazon credentials, that’s only if you have not done that already... obviously if your husband is the owner of that music service, then he will need to do these things from/on his mobile.

Next go to to the Sonos App “room” settings for each of your Alexa Enabled devices, i.e. Sonos One or Beam etc. and choose to de-authorise any existing connection to Alexa by clicking on the Alexa icon at the top of each of your respective room settings.

Now goto the Amazon Alexa App and ensure it is your Amazon account that is signed into that App and not your husbands. Add the Sonos skill to your Alexa account and accept the sharing agreement between your Amazon account and the household Sonos account, to which you have registered the speakers. Once the skill install is complete, Alexa will automatically scan for devices and find all your speakers.

One other thing to check, is that you have set your chosen music service, Amazon, Spotify or Deezer to the 'default' music service in your Alexa App. This is shown under Settings/Music in the Alexa App.

And that’s it... so try that and then see how you get on.?
Youre right. Our accounts werent linked as a family and I discovered that shortly after posting. 🙂 Thank you for the reply though.
Youre right. Our accounts werent linked as a family and I discovered that shortly after posting. 🙂 Thank you for the reply though.
Yes it’s important to note that shared Amazon Households do not automatically mean that a single music account subscription is shared with everyone in the Household ... you need to buy the 'family music' subscription service to both get access to their streaming music services and (as usual) that costs a little extra each month. I’ve seen others here mistakenly think that shared Amazon Houdeholds means shared music... I wish that was the case, but sadly it isn’t.

So try to make sure you only link the Amazon account that actually owns (subscribes to) the 'streaming music subscription' to your Sonos account and also to the Sonos Skill and then, all being well, it should work.

Hope you manage to resolve your shared account issues ?