Alexa breaking groups (yet again)

Badge +2
I came back from holiday to find that once again Alexa breaks my Sonos groups (third or fourth time). I have 5 Sonos speakers grouped through Sonos (group created from ‘Living Room’ paired speakers). I also have the same speakers selected as preferred speakers under the Alexa group ‘Living Room’. However if I tell Alexa to ‘play music in the living room’ it only plays through one speaker (bizarrely one named ‘Dining room’ although it is part of the group) and if I go into the Sonos app the group is broken. If I just tell Alexa to ‘play music’ then it only plays through the Alexa device (so the preferred speaker setting is meaningless?)

So far I have checked for an update (there are none), renamed the living room speakers in case there is a conflict, disabled and reenabled the Sonos skill, rerun device discovery (after every change), set the living room speaker as the only preferred speaker (which then works through Alexa) but any Sonos group created is still broken by Alexa. Basically I’ve trawled the forums trying everything I can find to no avail.

I’m going to totally uninstall and reinstall Sonos to see if that works but I'm really getting fed up of having to constantly fix stuff because Alexa and Sonos want to ‘improve the user experience ‘ which adds nothing but breaks everything. I think the app developers just need to justify their salaries. I’m reasonably tech savvy but god forbid if I ever kick the bucket because there is no hope in hell that my wife will ever be able to use this stuff. I’ve now reached the point where I’ve given up on Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's like a recurring nightmare or maybe Groundhog day...

Every few weeks it seems SONOS has to release an update which immediately breaks my Alexa/Sonos and I then spend a few frustrating days trying to get it all back up and running. And to make things even more exciting, it never works immediately after I delete and reinstall rooms/skill/devices/preferred speakers it waits a few days before deciding whether it will work or not - just in time for the next update to break it again.

I have over £1000 of SONOS devices. I'm also adding an extension and was going to put in another £2500 of SONOS devices but I have now given up on them.

I jokingly asked my wife how she was going to cope with this Alexa/SONOS fiasco if I died and she replied 'I'll just use the Bose...' Maybe she has a point.

I still suspect duplicate IP addresses could be a cause of this issue, fixed IP addresses would solve/eliminate this.
Badge +2
I still suspect duplicate IP addresses could be a cause of this issue, fixed IP addresses would solve/eliminate this.

A quick check shows that there are no duplicate IP addresses assigned and the hub uptime is 77 days (I've had to do two SONOS / ALEXA resets in that time). I did try this before and it didn't work but I'll give it another go (clinging to straws here).

But for a lot of people IP address might as well be a foreign language and it shouldn't need this level of knowledge to work. Prior to Alexa groups, this was never an issue which sort of points to Alexa as the cause of the problem, but its the SONOS updates that always break groups.

A quick check shows that there are no duplicate IP addresses assigned and the hub uptime is 77 days (I've had to do two SONOS / ALEXA resets in that time). I did try this before and it didn't work but I'll give it another go (clinging to straws here).

But for a lot of people IP address might as well be a foreign language and it shouldn't need this level of knowledge to work. Prior to Alexa groups, this was never an issue which sort of points to Alexa as the cause of the problem, but its the SONOS updates that always break groups.

There is no way to know if you have duplicate IP addresses assigned. By their very nature, they are hidden from the router's assignment table, and thus are unable to be seen on the network.
Badge +2

There is no way to know if you have duplicate IP addresses assigned. By their very nature, they are hidden from the router's assignment table, and thus are unable to be seen on the network.

Thanks I didn't know that. I also ran Fing and that didn't show anything either but I have no idea whether it would or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
By Hub uptime do you mean the router? If so, surely the sequence is to shut down the speakers and router, then fully restart router, then the speakers one at a time. Then set the fixed ip addresses.

My apologies if I've misunderstood.

Hey folks- spent 2 hours with Sonos tonight (Oct 28 2019), on this topic. Here’s the scoop.

Bottom line=Software bugs. Also, Sonos doesn’s seem to have an Alexa expert, so support is generic.

Here’s what we tried (so you dont have to spend 2 hours).

-i have 2 sonos 5, 2 sonos 1, and 1 play 1, and 1 echo dot. ALL SONOS FEATURES WORK PERFECT, EXCEPT ALEXA.  IT WAS WORKING A FEW MONTHS AGO PERFECTLY. IT BROKE IN LATER RELEASES.

we reinstalled alexa and sonos. reconnected them. deleted all named groups in alexa. created a new named group. NO MATTER WHAT WE DID..sonos ONLY played music on the Play 1.

Also- even if i grouped all my devices on sonos app, then used voice command to tell alexa to play santana “everywhere” (thats the name of the alexa group), it played on the Play 1, AND i can see IN REAL TIME ON THE SONOS APP, IT ACTUALLY “UNGROUPS” the group of 5 speakers on sonos.

• THEY ARE REPORTING A BUG HERE- I’M AN EX SOFTWARE GUY- ITS A BUG, AND THERE’S A FEW OF THEM:(
  • THE ALEXA APP CAN NOT “MAKE THE HANDSHAKE” WITH THE SONOS APP.

Hope they fix it- after having voice services, this is like driving a model T car again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey folks- spent 2 hours with Sonos tonight (Oct 28 2019), on this topic. Here’s the scoop.

Bottom line=Software bugs. Also, Sonos doesn’s seem to have an Alexa expert, so support is generic.

Here’s what we tried (so you dont have to spend 2 hours).

-i have 2 sonos 5, 2 sonos 1, and 1 play 1, and 1 echo dot. ALL SONOS FEATURES WORK PERFECT, EXCEPT ALEXA.  IT WAS WORKING A FEW MONTHS AGO PERFECTLY. IT BROKE IN LATER RELEASES.

we reinstalled alexa and sonos. reconnected them. deleted all named groups in alexa. created a new named group. NO MATTER WHAT WE DID..sonos ONLY played music on the Play 1.

Also- even if i grouped all my devices on sonos app, then used voice command to tell alexa to play santana “everywhere” (thats the name of the alexa group), it played on the Play 1, AND i can see IN REAL TIME ON THE SONOS APP, IT ACTUALLY “UNGROUPS” the group of 5 speakers on sonos.

• THEY ARE REPORTING A BUG HERE- I’M AN EX SOFTWARE GUY- ITS A BUG, AND THERE’S A FEW OF THEM:(
  • THE ALEXA APP CAN NOT “MAKE THE HANDSHAKE” WITH THE SONOS APP.

Hope they fix it- after having voice services, this is like driving a model T car again.

This must be a set-up or a location specific bug as my set-up is still working fine. You say that you’ve reinstalled Alexa and Sonos - did you also Disable then Enable the Sonos skill within the Alexa App?