Alexa asking to link my Spotify Premium Account

• 20 February 2019
  • 16 replies

Badge
Hey there,

i am trying to play Spotify through a Sonos Beam, but no matter what i try, Alexa keeps telling me to "first link my spotify premium account throught he Alexa App", which i already did (a couple of times for good measure).

Radio on Sonos Beam plays correctly,
Spotify on Sonos plays correctly,
Alexa works correctly,
Spotify premium plays correctly through my Dot and Echo (1st gen)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Try the following:

Log out of the Spotify app and subsequently out of all Amazon apps (including the Alexa app) that are installed on your mobile device, and afterwards remove and re-authorise the Sonos skill.
Badge
Done and it does not change anything.

Plus i just found out that group commands do not work through the Sonos Beam, asking to turn off living room (which is just made of lights) prompts me for a "there are multiple objects with the name Livingroom, which one do you want ?".

Through the Dot and Echo everything works flawlessly, groups and music through spotify.
Done and it does not change anything.
Do you have [Alexa linked to] multiple Amazon accounts?

Plus i just found out that group commands do not work through the Sonos Beam, asking to turn off living room (which is just made of lights) prompts me for a "there are multiple objects with the name Livingroom, which one do you want ?".

You may find this a useful read: Best Practices for Naming of devices
Badge
Hello Smilja,

i only have one account and as i just wrote, all commands including group commands work perfectly through the Dot and Echo, not through the Beam. My grouping is far simpler, i Just have room groups for Hue lights and they always worked perfectly.

This is not the first time i use Alexa, i've been using it for 3 years now and it always worked as expected, it is just the Beam that looks like is not getting the commands right.
This is not the first time i use Alexa, i've been using it for 3 years now and it always worked as expected, it is just the Beam that looks like is not getting the commands right.
Try re-authorization of the Sonos skill via Alexa's web page. Hope this will do the trick:

1. Go to your Sonos app and remove voice services from the room settings
  2. Disable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa app
  3. Go to the following page on a web browser: https://alexa.amazon.com
  4. Then go to Smart Home > Devices > Scroll to the bottom and click Forget All
  5. Go back to the Sonos app and configure voice services
Badge
I did the full procedure and it still won't work. I removed all my things and renamed everything (even inside the Hue app) to avoid any possible conflict.

Looks like the sonos Alexa skill is the broken link and it doesn't want to bind properly, uninstalling and reinstalling is not helping. The sonos Beam is always shown as Offline.
I did the full procedure and it still won't work. I removed all my things and renamed everything (even inside the Hue app) to avoid any possible conflict.

Looks like the sonos Alexa skill is the broken link and it doesn't want to bind properly, uninstalling and reinstalling is not helping. The sonos Beam is always shown as Offline.

Re-authorising the Sonos skill is the only way to remedy this. However, according your profil you live in Belgium. Please note that Alexa is not available on Sonos in your country yet. That's why it doesn't work.

Where is Amazon Alexa on Sonos available?
Amazon Alexa is currently available in the United States, Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3439?language=en_US
Badge
My System is set to US 🙂
My System is set to US :)
You need to get around the geo-block otherwise. Try and set the country in your Sonos account and in the Alexa app to Germany. According to Amazon Belgian residents are redirected to Amazon Germany for shopping.
Badge
Yes, all amazon shopping from BeNeLux can be directed to either France or Germany, we have prime and everything else. Weird that Alexa skills are not supported yet, but it would not surprise me.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
There are creative solutions... I am learning about a website/software called "triggercmd.com". I am no expert, however, using this program which is installed on your computer, you can ask Alexa to turn on a program such as the calculator or even shut down the computer. Other examples are asking Alexa to open to a specific website... In short, it is probable that there is a way to open spotify on your computer using Alexa in this capacity... and once its playing on your computer (if your computer uses your TV as a monitor) then you can play it on Sonos Beam
Badge
Hi Neuron,

no, my computer does not use my TV as a monitor (and i use Macs) 🙂 it is way simpler to just wait until Amazon has whitelisted belgium and let the Sonos app work properly. I just hope they are not waiting to launch Alexa in dutch !
Badge
Anyhow, the skills are supported by Amazon, this is a Sonos software issue, not an Alexa one.
Kind of sucks that the Beam is marketed as working with Alexa when it is not. At least it should be written somewhere when you buy it.
Anyhow, the skills are supported by Amazon, this is a Sonos software issue, not an Alexa one.
Kind of sucks that the Beam is marketed as working with Alexa when it is not. At least it should be written somewhere when you buy it.

No, it isn't. Alexa resides in an IT Cloud (Amazon Web Services) with settings managed solely through the Alexa app. To put it another way, Sonos is not in control of anything regarding Alexa.
Badge
There are two components here, one is alexa and the cloud the other is the sonos serverside component. Alexa and alexa skills are supported in belgium, so :)

Later i will change my sonos location to UK and try again.
There are two components here, one is alexa and the cloud the other is the sonos serverside component. Alexa and alexa skills are supported in belgium, so :)

Later i will change my sonos location to UK and try again.

You'll need to change location in your Amazon account too.

Alexa + Sonos: How it Works

The Amazon protocols determine if it’s meant for Amazon Alexa or for a Sonos player. If it’s for Sonos, that text is then sent directly, and securely, over to the Sonos cloud to be turned into a command using our own codes.