Alexa appears as a different account on Sonos Beam

• 14 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

I have two stand alone Alexa device (an echo and a dot), alexa on a sonos move and alexa on a sonos beam. Until about a week ago these were working fine, but suddenly alexa on the sonos beam seemed to think it was on a different account (it isn’t I’ve checked several times and even uninstalled it and reinstalled it).

Anyway if I now say to the sonos beam alexa ‘turn on tv’ it answers ‘umm that doesn’t seem to be on the account’. Last week it just turned the TV on or off as requested. The Alexa on the Sonos Move will turn on the TV as will my other Alexa devices.

Of if I say play LBC it does play it but says ‘ playing LBC London from Flora’s Global Player’ (Flora is my wife’s name and she doesn’t have an LBC account), whereas last week it just used to say ‘playing LBC London from Global Player’, as it still does with my other devices.

If I say ‘play BBC Radio 4’ it now says ‘you need to connect to your BBC account to listen to Alexa. You only need to do this once. Would like me to send a link to your phone  to get you started’. But the link never appears. This time last week BBC Radio 4 just played as it still does with my other Alexa devices.

If I say ‘Alexa turn on light’ the light goes on in the bedroom. A week ago it went on in the TV room which is where the beam is located and the Alexa group in which it is situated. If I say ‘Alexa turn on light in bedroom’ it answers ‘ummm I don’t see it on this account. To control devices set up by another household member ask me to switch accounts’. I ask it to switch accounts, but nothing happens.

I’ve tried many things both on the Alexa app (moving the beam alexa in and out of groups for example, deinstalling and reinstalling) but nothing changes.

Im not sure whether it is a Sonos issue or an Alexa issue.

Grateful for any suggestions as to what to do.

Bob Allen

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can check the account on each device by using the command “Alexa, identify account.”

I suggest that you disable then enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App and retest.

Userlevel 2

Thanks, I’ve been in touch with Amazon, and they carried out the same test. Indeed the Alexa in my Sonos Beam is attached to my wife’s account (although it’s connected with my email address and login). Anyway Amazon are just looking into how to change the Beam Alexa onto my account and will (hopefully) phone me back within the half hour 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, I’ve been in touch with Amazon, and they carried out the same test. Indeed the Alexa in my Sonos Beam is attached to my wife’s account (although it’s connected with my email address and login). Anyway Amazon are just looking into how to change the Beam Alexa onto my account and will (hopefully) phone me back within the half hour 🤞

I suspect that Disabling then Enabling the Sonos Skill within the Alexa App would resolve it.