Alexa and sonos setup error on linking speakers

• 28 December 2018
  • 9 replies

I have alexa echo dot and a sonos setup of several play 5s, a play 3 and a play 1. All of these speakers are already linked to my sonos account.

I have sonos and alexa app on my mobile and am trying to add the sonos skill, but keep on getting an error as follows: "add your sonos speakers to your account: you need to link speakers to [email] before you can add this skill...". It goes on. I have checked via desktop that the speakers are added, i have told it i've fixed the issue. I have tried uninstalling and rebooting everything and reinstalling it again. no joy

It used to work a week or two back and i'm frustrated A) that alexa seems to have forgotten the previously working sonos skill and 😎 I can't enable it again

Any solutions much appreciated from anyone who has experienced the same issue and solved it

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you make sure that you log out of all Amazon accounts on your device and sorry for asking a simple question but are you sure that you are adding the same email address that Sonos account is created under? (Sorry but need to ask 🙂 )
I am having the same issue. I am helping a friend link their new Echo Dot to their existing Sonos system. When I attempt to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app, I get the same error after providing a Sonos login credentials. I know the credentials are valid because the Sonos app is able to control the system.

The only thing unusual here is that this is my friend’s vacation home. I’m not sure that that shouldn’t matter but perhaps it does.
Go to More > Settings > Account Settings > Transfer Account. Check the account to see if it is correct. If not, proceed to transfer the account to the proper credentials.
As I wrote, I believe the credentials of correct because they are the ones that work for the Sonos app.
Try anyway!
I’m sorry. I don’t think I’m being clear. When the problem happens it takes you to the Sonos app Account Settings page and asks you whether the credentials are correct or if you want to transfer them. The account (email address) that it shows is the correct account. When I was first fiddling with this yesterday I tried transferring it to that same account but naturally it didn’t make any difference because it’s the same account. So at this point I’m not sure what I should try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Are you using your friend's phone to configure the Alexa App?
Are you using your friend's phone to configure the Alexa App?

Yes and tried with her iPad as well. (BTW: All Sonos devices and controllers appear up to date and I confirmed her a Sonos profile includes her address/Zip Code etc.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you confirm your location?

So to summerise:

1/ The Sonos players work fine via the App?
2/ The Echo Dot is connected to Alexa and if you ask 'Alexa, what's today's weather', she answers correctly for the correct location?
3/ There are no other applications open on the device and all Amazon apps have been logged out of?
4/ There is only a single Wi-Fi SSID within the house?
5/ The location in the Sonos profile is correct?
6/ The device location on the Echo Dot within the Alexa App is correctly set to the same address as the Sonos Profile?
7/ Sonos accounts are location specific for a specific controlling device. Are you using a controlling device specific for the vacation location? (It's best if there is a 1:1 relationship between Alexa and Sonos Accounts. Has your friend already set-up Alexa in their main residence?)

If all of these questions are Okay, I suggest that you create a new Sonos account for the Vacation location and then try to Enable the Sonos skill against the new Sonos Account.

But if the Answer to Q7 is Yes, you have a situation where its possible that the wrong house outputs music where requested via voice! The best solution would be to create two Amazon and Sonos accounts - one pair for each location. (An Amazon family account would work if you use different login's for each location.)