Alexa and Sonos Playlists

• 20 June 2018
  • 8 replies

I can get all my music through Alexa but cannot get playlists

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi rogercatto,

Thanks for reaching out. Currently starting playlists with voice commands through Alexa isn't supported on Sonos. We are working to make the Alexa better over time though. I'll send along a feature request to the team for you.
Thanks, saves me searching in vain and makes me feel a lot less thick. Great service
Badge
That’s odd, because I can start playlists on Sonos One through Alexa. I say “Alexa play my Spotify Favourites playlist” and it plays. What she can’t do is shuffle the order, although she says “starting shuffle” the order of songs doesn’t change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Playlists for supported music services will work fine, as they are in the cloud. However Sonos playlists are not in the cloud, they are on your local network, and Alexa can't get to them. Same reason she can't get to your Sonos Favorites as well.
Playlists for supported music services will work fine, as they are in the cloud. However Sonos playlists are not in the cloud, they are on your local network, and Alexa can't get to them. Same reason she can't get to your Sonos Favorites as well.

I'm not sure why Alexa would need to get a listing of Sonos playlists.
Couldn't the communication between Alexa and Sonos be set up so that Alexa issues a request to Sonos to play a playlist of a given name and then the validation occurs only on the local sonos player? If the playlist is invalid, then the local Sonos machines just don't play it; if it is recognized locally then it could be played. I understand the services don't currently exist to permit Sonos to be issued a request to play a playlist from a cloud-based authorized client, but it also doesn't seem that hard to implement.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's certainly doable. The Alexa device discovery can be extended to discover the local Sonos playlists and favorites in a similar way that is discovers third party home automation "scenes" (e.g. SmartThings).

Any update on this?
Long overdue for you guys to get this working...when will it be possible?
Long overdue for you guys to get this working...when will it be possible?
You can trigger a Sonos Playlist by using IFTTT with Alexa.

I am not expecting direct playing of any local music using the Sonos skill for Alexa anytime soon (but what do I know?). Of course, once it is playing you can perform certain actions by voice.

Also, there are some third party skills that I believe are able to control local music playback more fully.