Answered

Alexa and Sonos Not Playing on All Speakers

• 6 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Sonos and Alexa! 

So, I have a weird issue with regards to Sonos and Alexa integration. I have Alexa setup with proper rooms, three rooms have a Sonos speaker in, and each room has them properly assigned. 

The Alexa in each room is configured with that Sonos speaker, but also that when you say "Alexa Play" all Alexa devices are configured to play across all three speakers. 

In addition the Sonos app has the three speakers used configured in a group. 

When you ask Alexa to play, 2/3 rooms play music, but the lounge goes not, this happens no matter which Alexa device you request to start playing from. 

In the Sonos app the three speakers in the group all show (they have sound bars moving) that they are playing music, but the lounge does not. 

If I play music from the Sonos app then all speakers play as expected. 

Whilst music is playing, I have tried removing and readding the Sonos speaker to the group in the Sonos app but that doesnt work. I have tried deleting the Lounge speaker from both Alexa and Sonos apps and adding back in, but again doesnt work. 

Obviously I can use the Sonos app, but the benefit of the Alexa integration is that it is easy to just play music simply and quickly?

Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 8 April 2024, 14:00

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @musicMarsupial, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Removing and re-adding Alexa is what I’d recommend as well, but if you haven’t already, try removing and re-adding the Sonos Skill in the Alexa app. 

One thing I’m not sure about your post is that you say in the app all speakers show that they are playing music with the moving sound bar, but not the lounge. Does this mean the lounge has the moving bars but no audio, or that it has no moving bars alongside having no audio? 

A good test would be to remove the lounge from the group in the Sonos app, then specify with an Alexa command to play something only on the lounge. If that works, try creating the group in the Sonos app again, testing with using the lounge speaker as the group coordinator (GC) or using another speaker as the GC, then issuing an Alexa music command to see if all speakers play. The GC is the speaker that is selected before creating a group and you’d want this speaker to have the best wireless connection, so it’s generally the closest speaker to your router.

I’d also suggest power cycling the lounge speaker (and your router as well if power cycling only the lounge speaker doesn’t help) by powering it off for a minute or two then back on.

I hope this information helps!