AirPlay audio cuts out when clicking ‘Play Next’

• 28 August 2018
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Can anyone else with Apple Music and Sonos confirm if the following happens to you when using AirPlay 2?

When I am playing music from Apple Music on my iPhone to my Sonos One’s over AirPlay 2, I have an issue when selecting Play Next on another track. The audio cuts out on the current track, although it still shows as playing. I have to click Pause then Play on the current track to hear the audio again. This happens whenever I change the track that is queued up to play next. However, it doesn’t happen if I select Play Later to add it to the end of the queue.

I am using an iPhone X on the latest software.

Cheers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Might be because Airplay 2 doesn't use the queue and Play Next is a queue function?? I might be wrong. What are the advantages of using Airplay to play from Apple Music?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks John. I don’t see any reason why queuing a track in Apple Music should not work over AirPlay. As far as I am aware the only way to stream music directly from Apple Music to Sonos is via AirPlay. I much prefer the interface of Apple Music to the Sonos app.
So how did people play Apple Music through Sonos before Airplay was recently added? Preferring the interface is another matter, of course that is a reasonable personal preference. I thought you were referring to Play Next in the Sonos app - my mistake.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
That’s ok. You have always been able to add Apple Music as a source to the Sonos App. It is only since AirPlay 2 that you can play directly from the Apple Music app (and in fact any audio source on an iPhone).

I just want to know if I have an issue with my phone/setup, or if anyone else is having issues when queueing tracks over AirPlay. This could be an issues that Sonos or Apple need to address in an update.

Cheers.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
This still hasn't been sorted guys and is a real pain......
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Indeed, still happening on the new iOS 12. It seems adding a song to the queue in Apple Music to Play next, pauses the audio in the Sonos app. Very annoying.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This is still happening, and I am still not getting answers from Apple or Sonos. VERY frustrating having spent so much money. I just want to know who the issue lies with and if it’s going to be fixed?!?!
This is still happening, and I am still not getting answers from Apple or Sonos. VERY frustrating having spent so much money. I just want to know who the issue lies with and if it’s going to be fixed?!?!

Same thing happening to me. It's very frustrating. Still awaiting a fix for this as well.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I’m surprised it’s not more widely reported. Neither Sonos nor Apple have been able to help me work out what’s going on yet 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Same thing here. Really needs to be fixed.
Yes I’m having this issue too, but it’s not each and everytime in my case ... sometimes I can insert two or three 'Play Next' songs and then suddenly the Airplaying music stops playing. So it isn’t currently working as it ought to.

Hopefully Sonos will look into this matter.

Diagnostic:1612690362
Same issue here. Very frustrating.
Issue still persisting with iOS 12.1. 😞
Also happening, airplay 2 always stops at some point.
Just wanted to add another data point to this mess:
I’m having the same issue with my sonos playbase cutting out on apple music when adding tracks to a queue.

This is my diagnostic number: 956638466

I think this problem is more on sonos’ end rather than apple. It’s happening for both my wife and I on seperate phones, (although they are both iphones). I have a 6s and she has an iphone 8. Both on OS version 12.1

Also, I really don’t think this has anything to do with wireless signal interference because it ONLY cuts out when trying to add songs to a queue (‘play next, play later’), otherwise playback is perfect. If it were a signal interference problem then it would cut out randomly during normal playback. Again, it only cuts out in this specific instance, not generally.
Got a Sonos One over the holidays and this has repeatedly been happening to me: sound completely cuts out even though it says its still connected to the speaker and the song is still playing. Both when setting "Play Next" or when dragging up songs on a playlist to the top (ie. playing them next).

Have to disconnect and reconnect to get sound going again, which is incredibly annoying since I use both methods constantly...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're still seeing this issue, we'd like to have our phone teams troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, our phone number and hours can be found here.
Hi folks,

If you're still seeing this issue, we'd like to have our phone teams troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, our phone number and hours can be found here.
Jeff,

Just tried this a couple of times with my Sonos One 'Hallway' Speaker (both ungrouped and grouped with other Sonos Rooms) AirPlaying from within Apple Music on my iPad and it’s now working for me just fine. I chose 'Play Next' from numerous tracks and all worked with no interruptions at all to the playing stream.

Nice fix, thanks very much !!