Question

Adding the new Gen 2 Play 1 to my Sonos Playbar - Can I add a Gen 1 and Gen 2 to create voice activated surround sound

• 12 September 2019
  • 8 replies

I currently have a Sonos playbar. Im fully aware that I can add the Gen 1 or Gen 2 play 1's to the playbar to create surround sound and great TV / sound experience.

My question is if I buy 1 x gen 2 play one and then the original gen 1 play 1 and connect them all up, when I use Alexa and the voice controls for example to ask it to play Oasis greatest hits, will all the speakers work or just the Gen 2? I'm trying to establish if i need to buy 2 x Gen 2 speakers when they will be sitting 5 meters apart.I like the Gen2 new feathers but it seems silly have 2 of the speakers in the same room.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

We need to get the terminology straight here.

The Play:1 doesn't have any generations and does not have built in voice control.

The Sonos One has two generations and has voice control built in. For our purposes here they are idenical in their features.

For rear speakers you can have two Play;1s or two Ones but you cannot mix them.

Personally if I wanted to add surround and voice control I would buy two Play:1s and an Echo Dot.
Or you could (I think) get one Sonos One and one Sonos One Sl. The latter has just been launched.
when you say Sonos One Sl - do you mean the Gen2? (latest play one just launching?)
when you say Sonos One Sl - do you mean the Gen2? (latest play one just launching?)

No, the One SL is a One without microphones or built-in voice control. It was just announced, but is not yet released.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
No voice activated speaker when bonded to a Playbar as a surround will allow voice control (ie the Sonos One). If the majority of use is bonded as a surround a pair of Play:1s are your best bet (secure wall mounts).

Best bet is an Echo Dot, I use one with our 5.1 Playbar setup.
No voice activated speaker when bonded to a Playbar as a surround will allow voice control (ie the Sonos One). If the majority of use is bonded as a surround a pair of Play:1s are your best bet (secure wall mounts).

I might be reading what you said incorrectly, but yes, you can use voice control on a Sonos One setup as a surround speaker. It will remain active. Perhaps you're thinking about airplay functionality? That won't work on a Sonos One connected as surround.
@jonathan_42. There is no such speaker as a Play One. You are creating confusion, mostly in your own mind.

Incorrect. Voice control still works when bonded with a Playbar, it's Airplay 2 support that is turned off on surrounds. It is the Beam that disables voice control on the surrounds.