5.1 but want Alexa drop in

• 2 November 2020
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 2

I have a playbar, sub and 2 sonos 1's as my rears with Alexa built in. Since alexa doesn't allow drop in with Sonos, I am trying to figure out if I can use an echo dot for alexa (turn off alexa feature on the 1's) and still keep the surround sound as well as the easy access of playing having alexa control?

Appreciate any ideas??

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I have a playbar, sub and 2 sonos 1's as my rears with Alexa built in. Since alexa doesn't allow drop in with Sonos, I am trying to figure out if I can use an echo dot for alexa (turn off alexa feature on the 1's) and still keep the surround sound as well as the easy access of playing having alexa control?

Appreciate any ideas??

I use an Echo Dot to control our Playbar 5.1 setup.

You need to set the Playbar as Prefered Speaker in the Alex App iirc.

Only problem is you have to say "Alexa, turn up Livingroom" for volume control as if you just say "Alexa, louder" it turns the Dot up instead.

Danny wrote ;The original post is over a year old, and the ‘Sonos person’ who answer the question was actually a temporary contractor that Sonos no longer employs

So what your saying is that because the person is no longer there and its a year old my point is not valid. Gee yeah that makes sense.  The person was paid by sonos to amswer queries and applies to all techs which i clearly stated.  Thanks for the comeback that makes no sense whatsoever.  

Danny wrote

The question was about the Playbar, not the Beam.  A minor point perhaps, but if you’re going to get on someone for not reading the question properly, than your point would have more merit if you got it right.  And honestly, I don’t know what you’re getting it by ‘Connect them’ as that’s rather vague...and you can control volume and other functions via an echo dot if setup properly.

And the workaround/solution is there, though not really well explained.  You can setup an Alexa group (link provided by Sonos rep) to properly integrate a dot and Sonos room into one physical room.    I don’t use the drop in feature very often, but the few times I have used it, this solution worked just fine.  I don’t know that the Sonos room will automatically mute or duck during the entire call, as I’ve always had the sound off during a call.

Yep thanks for that. It's a playbar. With the same problem as they are essentially the same thing. So your point was I don't read the query and my point has lost validity  becasue I used beam instead of playbar.  Another winning comeback.

And you've not read anything either . The solution  is not there. I have no idea why youre ranlmbling on about groups either. This is not about groups which I'm aware of. I assume you think I'm asking the last question to the poster when it is obviously directed at the SONOS team. 

He doesn't have an echo dot braniac. That's the point.  The tech guy didn't read the query and started in on fixing a problem that wasn't there to be fixed. 

Oh thanks also for spending all this time to have a go at me rather using it to 'perhaps'  better explain the so called solution given by the (now ex) sonos person.  You even went to the trouble of registering an account to do this. BUT DIDNT BOTHER TO HELP THE ORIGINAL PERSON. even saying it wasn't explained properly.   Well done and really thanks for your input. 

Danny wrote ;The original post is over a year old, and the ‘Sonos person’ who answer the question was actually a temporary contractor that Sonos no longer employs

So what your saying is that because the person is no longer there and its a year old my point is not valid. Gee yeah that makes sense.  The person was paid by sonos to amswer queries and applies to all techs which i clearly stated.  Thanks for the comeback that makes no sense whatsoever.  

I stated facts, it wasn’t a ‘comeback’.  If you want to believe that the level of support a customer receives today is the same support they will receive from a temp contractor over a year ago, that Sonos likely recognizes was pretty bad, then go right ahead.

Danny wrote

The question was about the Playbar, not the Beam.  A minor point perhaps, but if you’re going to get on someone for not reading the question properly, than your point would have more merit if you got it right.  And honestly, I don’t know what you’re getting it by ‘Connect them’ as that’s rather vague...and you can control volume and other functions via an echo dot if setup properly.

And the workaround/solution is there, though not really well explained.  You can setup an Alexa group (link provided by Sonos rep) to properly integrate a dot and Sonos room into one physical room.    I don’t use the drop in feature very often, but the few times I have used it, this solution worked just fine.  I don’t know that the Sonos room will automatically mute or duck during the entire call, as I’ve always had the sound off during a call.

Yep thanks for that. It's a playbar. With the same problem as they are essentially the same thing. So your point was I don't read the query and my point has lost validity  becasue I used beam instead of playbar.  Another winning comeback.

I just find it interesting that you complain about reading comprehension, yet get the name of the product in question wrong.  As I said, it was a minor point as the answer is basically the same regardless of whether you use a Playbar or Beam.

And you've not read anything either . The solution  is not there. I have no idea why youre ranlmbling on about groups either. This is not about groups which I'm aware of. I assume you think I'm asking the last question to the poster when it is obviously directed at the SONOS team. 

He doesn't have an echo dot braniac. That's the point.  The tech guy didn't read the query and started in on fixing a problem that wasn't there to be fixed. 

Who’s the “he” you’re referring to here?  The original poster?   OP stated that they have an echo dot, twice.  Yes, Rowena did fail to answer the question originally, but did answer the  question in her second post, which is to setup Alexa groups.

Oh thanks also for spending all this time to have a go at me rather using it to 'perhaps'  better explain the so called solution given by the (now ex) sonos person.  You even went to the trouble of registering an account to do this. BUT DIDNT BOTHER TO HELP THE ORIGINAL PERSON. even saying it wasn't explained properly.   Well done and really thanks for your input. 

Registering an account?  What are you talking about?

@Gregbyne . Why was it inappropriate for Danny to point out that the standard of response from Sonos staff on here now is far better than what was provided here?

Your slightly incoherent rage is hard to understand.  I look forward to being your next target.

Oh and “Registering an account?”  What are you talking about?