Question

2 Sonos One speakers in differnet geographical locations and one alexa app is showing both speakers

• 7 November 2017
  • 12 replies

My boyfriend and I just purchased Sonos One speakers.He lives in S.C and I live Georgia. We can't get alexa to recognize the Sonos skill on his Sonos One. So, commmnds like "stop music or "play music" is unrecognizable. Alexa keeps stating to enable the Sonos skill or smart home skill. We've uninstalled, disabled, re-enabled the Sonos skill, the alexa and Sonos app and even reset factory the Sonos One speaker...no luck. Interestingly enough, we both have separate amazon alexa accounts but when he goes through Voice Services addition via the Sonos App, the Sonos One immediatley pops up with a description of "Online" in my Alexa App and not his. I can see in my "History" the commands he is calling out to alexa in S.C. The commands do not register in his history in his alexa app. So in my alexa app under Settings and Devices I see 3 different Sonos Ones: I see a descriiption Sonos One, a descriiption of My Sonos One with Online under the name, and I see His Sonos One with Online under the name. The wires are somehow crossed. Anyone else experiencing this? Need help to resolve please.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

So you have two different Amazon accounts, but do you have two separate Sonos accounts? It's a little hard to follow, but if you are sharing the same Sonos account, I wouldn't think you'd be able to setup two separate Amazon accounts. If you setup the Sonos skill first, I wouldn't think he'd be able to do it again with a different Amazon account.
Yes agreed it's a little hard to follow and to explain as it is a very weird issue. We have separate everything: Separate Sonos account, separate Amazon account, and separate Alexa accounnt logins.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry if you've tried some of these but if you have separate accounts for everything and you haven't connected your Sonos devices with the app in each others locations then someone is probably linked the wrong account.

Try this:
- Both of you open the Sonos app on Android or iOS and remove Voice Control within Room Settings;
- Both remove the Alexa Skill within your respective Alexa Apps - one at a time and ensure that it is only removed from the correct account after the first account is updated;
- Confirm that your boyfriend has his Sonos app logged into his account (Can you create a test favourite on his account via a PC and make sure that you can't see the test favourite in your Sonos App);
- Confirm that he can see the test favourite;
- Get your Boyfriend to Link his Amazon account to his Sonos account in the Sonos app on Android or iOS BUT leave yours unlinked at this stage (This will check if something is overwriting the linking of accounts later);
- Confirm that he can see his Sonos 1 in his Alexa App and then test Voice Control;
- Confirm that you can NOT see anything in your Alexa App under History and that your Sonos skill is still NOT Enabled;

If this works, then link your Alexa and Sonos accounts and then retest.

Let us know the results of each step please.

One other thing to check is under Alexa App Settings>(Select your Amazon Alexa Enabled Device)>About - Who are the two devices registered to?
Thanks foryour response UKMEdia. We are open to anything at this point
For steps 1 and 2: We have perfomed this several times in various iterations (i.e, him going first, me second and vice versa, and at the same time). We even had tech support take over both our PCs to troubleshoot this issue and they pretty much went through the same steps.
For step 3: Not sure if I understand. When you state "Sonos App" are you speaking of the app where you control/create all your music and playlists?
For step 4: Will confirm once I understand your comment in step 3
For Step 5: Done
For remianing steps: My boyfriend is currently working so can't verify the remaining steps yet.

But here is a summary of what tech support performed yesterday.
They started with me first and removed voice control/services, disabled the sonos skill etc. We completely renamed my Sonos One because I named it "TV Room" and had a Play 3 called "TV Room" as well, so to avoid any conflicts we renamed it to "Master Bedroom" Went through the voice control/services setup and this what showed up in my alexa app under "Settings" (see attachment). I don't know why Master Bedroom shows up twice but in my experience if you don't see the one with "Online" status Alexa doesn't work properly. At this point everything is working as it should.

During this time my boyfriend's sonos skill was disabled and his voice control/services was removed.

Now fast forward several hours later, tech support takes over my boyfriend's PC and go through the process of adding voice control/services, enabling sonos skill etc. His Sonos One showed up in the Alexa App and is called "Soulmate" Notice he doesn't have 2 entries and there is nothing that show the "Online" status (see attachement) When you click on "Soulmate" it doesn't even state who it is registred to, it just displays a serial number. Here is the interesting point: at the exact same time that his Sonos One pops up in his Alexa App an entry pops up in my Alexa app.(see attachment) Notice the "Sonya's 2nd Sonos One" is now showing in my Alexa app. Also notice the "Online" status as well.

A little background. When we initially encountered this issue a week ago and went through the process of uninstalling apps and diabling skills, etc. we decided to also do a factory reset on my boyfriend's Sonos One and renamed it to "Soulmate Initally he named the speaker "Sonya's Sonos One" I know this is a cloud solution but there is sonmething keeping this old information. In additon, when he speaks to Alexa in S.C. and I am in Georga, his words are shwoing up in my Alexa app history log and not his.

Also, when you click on the Master Bedroom with the "Online" status and Sonya's 2nd Sonos One with the "Online" status, both are showing registred under my name.

At this point we are thinking about returning his Sonos One and exchnage it for a new one to see if this work. I am a techie and would love to determine and solve this interesing issue but it's getting a little annoying at the same time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
One thing to check out, sb4300, can you both go into your Sonos apps and check out Settings > About Sonos then compare your Sonos ID? It's the same number, your systems are both using the same Sonos account, and you'll want to factory reset one of the two. You can check under your Sonos accounts on the website to see whose account is being used by checking that number.

For Alexa, you're best off with one Sonos account linked with one Sonos household and with one Amazon account.
Thanks Ryan. Checked and the Sonos IDs are different. I agree about one account. So not sure that since he has established his account for his household and I've established my separate account for my household why are we somehow linked....it's stranage since we've both performed a factory reset yet old information is still being retained.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can you log into that Amazon account at alexa.amazon.com and see if both players are listed there?

If so, can you "forget" the one that shouldn't be listed under Smart Home? Then, also go to Settings and select the device you need to remove from that account, at the bottom under "About" you'll see the registration for that player. Click Deregister.

Then, try to set it up again in the right location.
Yep they are both listed and yes we've performed the Deregister step several times, did a forget as well, re-discovered the devices multiple times and it still pops up in my alexa account with the old name of the speaker. We've literally tried everything possible, but stil no luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi sb4300

It looks as though tech support took you through my stages already. We need to check that you aren't logged into different Amazon accounts on a device that has your email address as the device log-in In case this is somehow linking your two accounts outside of Sonos:

1/ Can you confirm if you are using a PC, Android or iOS for the Sonos and Alexa control;
2/ Can you disable and enable Voice Services within the Sonos app again. (where you control your music) This is done in Settings>Room Settings> select your Sonos 1>Amazon Alexa
3/ Can you log out of any other apps connected to Amazon on both of your phones or any other device which is linked to your email addresses (Amazon Alexa, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Assistant, etc)
4/ Can you both link your accounts again within the Sonos app. This is again done in Settings>Room Settings> select your Sonos 1>Amazon Alexa where you removed the linking in step 2.

Can you retest and let us know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sorry noticed a mistake in point 2, please don't Enable again until point 4...
SOLVED!!!!!!! ok so my boyfriend took the Sonos One back and got a brand new one and we experienced the exact same problem. What we finally discovered is that the Amazon Music application on his mobile phone was logged in using my account name. As soon as he logged out of that application it worked!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That was an interesting one! 🙂