10-15 Second line-in Latency on Play 5 with Alexa

• 28 April 2018
  • 5 replies

There is at least a 10 second delay in getting an audio signal be heard on my 2nd Gen Play 5 from my Amazon Echo. No it is not the Echo. I have no delay when plug my headphones or other 3.mm speakers. Sonos is pointing fingers at Amazon and vice versa. I have spent hours on the phone trying to resolve. It makes my Echo enabled Sonos system almost unusable for anything but playing music. In case someone from Sonos tech support is monitoring this, here is my case number. TT - ESCP1 - Volume adjustments as delayed [Incident: 180405-001024]

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Jellyman,

Do you have the echo device cabled to the Play-5 and are you using the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App at the same time?
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do. This is nothing simple I can guarantee you after having at least 5 calls with Sonos tech support, including their technical level support. '
Thank you for your reply. Yes I do. This is nothing simple I can guarantee you after having at least 5 calls with Sonos tech support, including their technical level support. '
You should choose one or the other, either the Echo connected to the Play:5 or the Sonos Skill. Surely the people from Sonos Tech told you that a mixed mode is not recommended.
No they didn't. Super surprising. I will take your advice. Thank you!
Jellyman,
Yes if you cable the echo device to any speaker you are really using the Amazon Echo side of things... it just improves the sound output of the echo device and you need to use Amazon's own instructions to control your music output via the attached speaker.

If you install the Sonos Skill in the Alexa app you are then switching over to using the Sonos smart-home side of things and using the Sonos voice instructions to control the speaker over WiFi (echo dot is not cabled to the speakers line-in)...this method uses 'audio ducking' in a certain way and is why you have not been hearing some of the Alexa responses and have experienced audio delays.

As smilja say you need to use it one way or the other.

(A) Sonos speaker uncabled to echo dot, with Sonos skill installed in Alexa App... or..
(B) Sonos speaker cabled to the echo dot line-out, with no Sonos Skill installed.

The choice is yours, but obviously, you can’t have both.