Answered

ZP 90 with Hi res Audio eg Amazon UHD

• 20 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi all, 

i have a ZP90 with an external DAC and i want to check whether the ZP90 can output 24bit audio via the digital output or do i need to upgrade to a Port?

my whole system is S1 so would prefer not to have to create two systems but would love to try UHD audio. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 20 November 2023, 01:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

According to Sonos, “Sonos products must be running S2 software in order to play Ultra HD audio”.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/amazon-music

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

my whole system is S1 so would prefer not to have to create two systems but would love to try UHD audio. 

I’d suggest you do a lot of research on the actual, audible to you, benefits of higher definition audio before you spend a pile of money getting it working for you.

Thanks for the reply but I find that with audio it's always down to personal taste and I could probably find in research  as many people saying it's great and say its not worth it hence me trying to find a cost effective route to try it. I already have amazon uhd. Just need to find a way to play it. Maybe I need to find a cheap second hand connect s2 if the ZP90 doesn't support it via the digital out. 

If your DAC had a suitable readout it would actually show 24 bits for the signal from your ZP90. The S/PDIF has always been 24 bits wide, in order to accommodate volume adjustment of the original 16-bit input without data loss (down to around -48dB).

Bear in mind that, unless you’re planning to lock the ZP/Connect in Fixed Volume mode, any 24-bit UHD input from Amazon will suffer truncation. Lower the volume by 24dB and you’d be down to 20 bits.