Answered

Sonos system using 400 megabytes of bandwidth

• 29 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Seriously, 400 MB, according to speed tests. I am getting gigabyte scale fiber optic Internet from CenturyLink, but the huge draw of the Sonos system is causing dropout when the fiber bandwidth dips.

System: 4 sonos 1s, 2 sonos 5s, 1 sonos move. Streaming mp3s from Airplay on my Mac Mini M1 desktop.

The Internet suggested changing the Wi-Fi channel that the Sonos operates on, but in my android control app, it only lists one channel (11), and there's no option to change it.

What is going on here?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 29 January 2023, 22:21

View original

2 replies

@Ducks vs Wombats

I don’t currently understand your 400MB value, is that per second, or an overall download total, per use over an (as yet) unstated time? Streaming music audio downloads are usually somewhere in the region off …

• 5mb per minute for 16/44 Music audio per channel (10mb for stereo).

So if the above is a download total value, I equate that to 40 minutes stereo playback time (give or take).. I use 4+ times that daily, just with general use of my iPad.

If you can perhaps explain your total(s) and show some evidence in support, then that may help others here to perhaps offer you some suggestions (if necessary).

The Internet suggested changing the Wi-Fi channel that the Sonos operates on, but in my android control app, it only lists one channel (11), and there's no option to change it.

What is going on here?

This is the SonosNet channel - you clearly are using WiFi for your Sonos devices. You therefore cannot change its channel - if something or someone is requiring/suggesting you change channel, I suspect it’s referring to your router’s WiFi channel - it’s often suggested in the various threads here in the community to use a fixed non-overlapping WiFi channel for your routers 2.4Ghz band, so that’s channel 1, 6 or 11 and to use a channel-width of 20Mhz only. It’s best to scan the locality to discover the least used channel. If you do decide to later switchover your Sonos system to SonosNet instead then I recommend the following suggestions…

• Set the SonosNet channel so it’s at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.
  • Do not remove the WiFi credentials from your setup, as that will be required by your portable Sonos Move, which does not use SonosNet.
  • Position the wired Sonos product so it’s at least one metre (minimum) away from your router to reduce the potential for any interference.