Answered

Sonos on separate VLAN on unifi

• 15 June 2023
  • 9 replies

I have read lots and lots of posts on this but many of them are old posts.  I have tried many things but still no luck.  I have my sonos boost wired to a port on my ubiguiti switch which is setup to use a separate VLAN than the rest of my network.  All my speakers are connected to the boost wireless through the Sonosnet.  After two very frustrating days of trying to get all the sonos stuff moved to the new VLAN, I finally called support.  The guy right away had me uncheck Multicast Enhancement and Multicast and Broadcast Control.  That seemed to work to get the speakers setup on the sonosnet with the boost and be visable from my iphone when on the same wireless network as the speakers.  However, if I am not on the same wireless network, the Sonos app cannot see the sonos system.  I have tried entering Firewall rules for various ports from all the threads that I have read but still nothing.  I am wondering if I have the Firewall rules setup correctly.  I am fairly new with unifi, so still learning the system and all its settings.  I am wondering if I can get some help on this?  Give me an example of how I would setup the rules that Sonos needs to be accessible to other devices on a different wifi.  Also, what is the current setup to get this working.  If someone who has this working can lay out all their settings, that would be very helpful to the rest of us trying to figure this out.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 15 June 2023, 21:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Perhaps see if this link helps you to sort the matter…

https://www.neilgrogan.com/ubnt-sonos/

Thank you this is quite helpful and easy to follow along.  However, when I get to the part to edit the config.gateway.json file it doesn’t like the vim command.  Is there another command to use?

Thank you this is quite helpful and easy to follow along.  However, when I get to the part to edit the config.gateway.json file it doesn’t like the vim command.  Is there another command to use?

Sorry I’m not sure, but did you also see the posts here discussing this topic …

https://community.ui.com/questions/Configure-Sonos-across-subnets-on-USG/a758382b-72e4-446b-90cc-ea353482ff1a

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just keep the phones/controllers on same VLAN/wireless network if it works? Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Followed the Neil Grogan directions and they worked great!  Easy to understand and follow along.  I had a problem where I didn’t have the sites directory for copying the config.gateway.json file but searching online I found that if you upload a map (any picture really), the system will create that directory.  I used filezilla to download and upload the json file.  Works just the way I wanted it to.  Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So I have to ask: you’ve been through all of the painful configuration and managed to get it to work, but for what? In a home network, what has your VLAN bought you?

Stability in my Sonos system.  I have a lot of IoT devices and I was having a lot of issues with my Sonos system.  So putting it on a separate VLAN seems to have helped.

^^ this. Look up “Sonos dropping off network” and you get instructions to disable otherwise very useful settings on your network configuration to prevent the failure. I have a bunch of IOT devices that start acting weird when I try to conform to the Sonos optimizations. Only solution that seems viable is to put Sonos on its own network. Now that I’ve done that, the Sonos works great, no more dropping speakers, no more streams breaking, stability. But I’m having the same issue as op. Mores strangely the problems are just with my iOS devices. Android phone can see the system no matter which vLan it’s connected to, but my iPhone cannot. iPhone 12 actually has an issue resolving a network connection on the WiFi broadcasting the vlan. 

Did anyone figured out how implement the solution provided on Neil Grogan’s blog, on newer unifi routers? I would love to upgrade someday my USG to something more robust (like a UXG-Pro), but last time I checked that wasn’t feasible.