Sonos app V80.0 does not support NAS drive

Userlevel 2

So the following note has been added to the SONOS support topic Use a NAS drive with Sonos

Sonos app version 80.0

This setting is not currently available in the Sonos app for iOS or Android, but it will return in a future update.

They are forcing the update, and there's no Music Library option in the system menu anymore. 

This is very frustrating. Very sloppy software development. Is complaining to support my only option to get this enabled again? 

11 replies

Userlevel 2

This update renders my Sonos useless as far as controlling it from my phone. I guess the Sonos management are only interested in it being used with paid content providers.

Luckily I was able to reinstall the previous version of the Android APK.

I’m furious about this. They also telegraphed it when the new search was in beta and wouldn’t pick up my local library in the results. Been dreading this update. Sure. Fixes some usability but I can’t use it. All chassis. No engine. 

Was just about to heavily invest into am Arc-Soundbar, a sub and two Era 300 speakers. Am glad that I’ve not done it yet. Not supporting NAS drives and if it is only on a temporary basis is a no go. Will look for alternatives. I’m sorry Sonos, but these kind of decisions will kill your business.

This is incredibly frustrating. The one thing that I noticed is that my Playlists are still available, which hit my NAS. Hmmmm.

The app won't even let me see my phone's internal chip that contains all of the same music on my NAS.

So after spending thousands of dollars over the years this is all now garbage. Literally useless.

I guess I'll start looking for another option and sell this stuff. Ridiculous.

To be honest, I'm getting an Apple proprietary vibe and now they're going to tell you what music you can listen to, which I'm sure will have to be some Sonos owned subscription service. 

I chose Sonos because it could access my local Media Library and had a decent app.  Neither is now true and I am unable to listen to the music I want throughout my house. This is terrible customer service and appalling Product Management.  Please bring back access to local Media Library collections.

I updated my Mac’s Sonos app (this morning) and have found a dialogue box that suggested I can add a NAS drive to the Music Folder.  So:

• Manage> Music Library Settings> Music Library.
  • Click on the +
  • Click on “Networked Device (ex.NAS drive)”
  • Then enter the path to the networked share.

The format that eventually worked was //{servername}/{folderpath}. I initially prefixed the string with SMB which it didn’t like. {servername} is the name of your server btw, not part of the command. Same is true for{folderpath}.

If you server is called Muzak and the files are in Fred/Music, the command would look like:

//Muzak/Fred/Music

Anyway, off the app went and Updated the Music Library. It took a long time.

It WORKED!!! 😀

(PS: My NAS is using SMB3. If you’ve got a Mac and are not sure, fire up Terminal and use:

>smbutil statshares -a

In the listed output SMB_VERSION will give you the answer.

Good luck.

PPS: This does *not* fix the iOS v.80 snafu. SonoPad seems to be the preferred workaround for now. It costs a few quid and seems to address the NAS music library access. It complements and builds upon the core desktop Sonos software and costs a few well spent £.

Userlevel 2

This update renders my Sonos useless as far as controlling it from my phone. I guess the Sonos management are only interested in it being used with paid content providers.

Luckily I was able to reinstall the previous version of the Android APK.

Hi Mike_75, how can I reinstall the previous app? So p1ssed off with the new app, it’s all but useless….

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi Mike_75, how can I reinstall the previous app? So p1ssed off with the new app, it’s all but useless….

Hi @ticitybo, it’s quite straightforward if you are talking about the Android app …

• Delete the Sonos app (this step is required)
  • Go to the APKMirror website, search for Sonos S2, download v16.1
  • Install the .apk file
  • Stop automatic updates in the Google Play store

… if you are talking about the iOS app it is quite a bit more, umm, nuanced. @AlexPermit outlined the process elsewhere in these forums.

Userlevel 2

Thank you, much appreciated. 

I have a music library on Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (v1) which I am unable to access with the new SONSO app. Worked great before! It has a mixture of .FLAC and .M4A files.

I can’t see anyway of adding the library on the Android app but the PC app allows you add a music library location. The previous format worked was \\NAS-76-25-6E\media\Music\FLAC, so when entering this and adding username/password the response is;

“please check the path to the folder, and the username and password needed are correct.

Unable to add the shared folder \\NAS-76-25-6E\media\Music\FLAC to your music library (913)”

Anyone can offer advice very much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have a music library on Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (v1) which I am unable to access with the new SONSO app. Worked great before! It has a mixture of .FLAC and .M4A files.

Hi @KLO, I looked up your NAS and it may not support the SMBv2 protocol needed to work with Sonos. Your NAS runs the old SMBv1 protocol which Sonos stopped supporting in mid-May.

This post in the Netgear forums talks about a hack for getting SMBv2 support, tho the process is anything but straightforward …

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Storage-Apps-Old-Legacy/Samba-4-1-17-for-ReadyNAS-Duo-v1-sparc/td-p/2000908

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!