Answered

Connecting turntable to Era or Port?

• 25 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I’m adding 2 x Era + Sub Mini to my Sonos setup. Want to connect my Audio-Technica turntable to the stereo-paired Era 100s. 
I already have a Sonos Port. 
Should I connect my turntable to the Port or one of the Era 100? Any difference in the Era 100 performance? What would you do and why? :-D

Anders

Copenhagen, Denmark. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 March 2024, 08:28

View original

5 replies

The line in is the same, software wise, the only difference between the two is the form factor. It is up to you which is easier.

Be aware that when any Sonos device is used as surrounds, the line in is turned off, so if your Era 100s are surrounds, the line in will be off. 

Thanks a lot Bruce 😀

Think I’ll just connect to the Port then. Will look better in my current setup  

I will be using the Era 100 as surrounds as well. However this will only be a few times monthly.
So I’ll just ungroup the stereo-pair and setup the surround room. 
Hoping that there will be a software update/fix/workaround/tweek for those (many apparently) who wants to use Era 100/300 as stereo-pair in vinyl setup AND as rear-speakers in a surround setup, without having to ungroup/regroup again and again 🤞🏻

Cheers

Anders

Glad to hear it. I prefer the look of a line in connected to a Port as well. Perhaps more easily hidden?

I wouldn’t hold my breath on any change to the line in function on a surround setup, though. The nature of the connection used by surrounds is so wildly different that there isn’t likely to be any easy ‘switch’ solution. Not to mention that there have been request about that exact functionality change since Sonos originally allowed the use of the CONNECT:AMP as a surround driver, years ago. 

Yes, exactly: More easily hidden. Just tested the setup with 2 x Sonos Move (Stereo Paired). Works like a charm. And sounds rather decent (through I miss the Sub).

And yeah, I think you’re right about that the line-in function will not be changed. And I can understand why. But as an aesthetic I suer would love it (the less speakers in one room, the better). 

Anyhow, thanks again for good advice on the port/line-in question. It gives an old hi-fi enthusiast like me cold shivers to play my vinyls streamed instead of wired. But slooowly I’m learning to cope with reality and the fact that listening to music for me, in this day and age (and with the limited time I have on my hands) more than anything else just needs to be convenient and easy :-D 

Heh. At my advanced age, I’ve found manual dexterity is less, and having ripped all my old vinyl and CDs, and storing the data on an NAS is easier. I am all for convenience and ease ;)

I certainly understand the desire for the change, I just didn’t want you to be holding your breath. I suspect everyone would be happier if it were easier, but there would likely need some fairly substantial underlying systemic changes that aren’t easy, or even possible.