ZP100 not booting

Userlevel 2
Hi,

I've recently acquired a ZP100 however it looks to be stuck in the boot process with a single white light flashing endlessly.

It doesn't appear responsive to holding the mute button on bootup. On powerup all of the network port light flash briefly and the connection lights are solid if wired to bridge via ethernet.

I know this is an old product and I know it is my fault for purchasing it, but is there any other reset tricks or way to update the firmware to get out of this loop?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

197 replies

Zacharias,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

If the unit will not boot or reset you are stuck and a stop payment would be your best bet.

If the ZP100 has been sitting for a while, it will not recognize any of the newer components. First, you'll need to update the ZP100's firmware with the ZP100 isolated from any current units (remove power from them). Once updated, a healthy ZP100 can be added to your system and it will be fine. Be sure to factory reset the ZP100 before adding it to your system.
Userlevel 2
bummer. i'm stuck with the unit.

i had a wireless router that refused to boot after a failed firmware update. it was possible to update the firmware via one of the network ports and a linux box to bring it back. i'm sure the zp100 would have a similar tool. at this point i guess i'm completely reliant on the kindness of sonos support or somebody with inside knowledge of how the boot process works, or in this case doesn't.
Zacharias,

If there is some sort of boot trick, it has not been published.
Userlevel 2
Will have a poke around to see what I can find re. flash chip etc.
I see on these forums someone had a ZP100 that would become unresponsive after a certain period of time. Also somebody else who had flash problems that would disappear and reappear with firmware updates.

"Worse, the two dmesg reports on the bad box showed multiple flash memory errors. First were several "Empty flash at xxxxxx ends at xxxxx" at different memory locations, followed later by bad file checks (Data CRC failed on node at xxxx) corresponding to the locations in the previous warnings. "

So looks like I've got a starting point.

Would really appreciate if somebody else with a working ZP100 could email me their

http://Sonos's IP address:1400/status/jffs/upgrade.log

or the firmware download link from within that file.

cheers!
Userlevel 2
Upon further inspection, whilst the warranty seal etc was in place this unit has been repaired before, I am assuming by Sonos. It has had several components replaced near the ethernet ports and in the power supply section.

It tests with a healthy 1.5v from the regulator for the Renasas cpu supply voltage.

Is there some kind of serial monitor pinout or jtag diagram available for this board? I really need some way of finding out what has gone wrong.

Buzz you mentioned on the forum having a sometimes functional ZP100, can you post the firmware download link from your update.log file please?
Userlevel 2
Here's the update:

Found the serial port, and can interact with the bootloader via terminal:

Still need some firmware!

Rincon boot loader version 0.16-11080(ZP) (32M SDRAM). Press 'h' for help.
SDRAM test...
Memory test iteration 0
SDRAM test complete
Attempting to autoboot from NAND device
NAND ID is EC:75
32M NAND flash (Samsung K9F5608U0C) detected
NAND flash block 321 is bad
NAND flash block 323 is bad
NAND flash block 325 is bad
NAND flash block 327 is bad
NAND flash block 331 is bad
NAND flash block 333 is bad
NAND flash block 335 is bad
NAND flash block 337 is bad
NAND flash block 339 is bad
NAND flash block 341 is bad
NAND flash block 343 is bad
NAND flash block 345 is bad
NAND flash block 347 is bad
NAND flash block 349 is bad
NAND flash block 353 is bad
NAND flash block 355 is bad
NAND flash block 359 is bad
NAND flash block 361 is bad
NAND flash block 363 is bad
NAND flash block 365 is bad
NAND flash block 369 is bad
NAND flash block 371 is bad
NAND flash block 373 is bad
NAND flash block 375 is bad
NAND flash block 377 is bad
NAND flash block 379 is bad
NAND flash block 381 is bad
NAND flash block 385 is bad
NAND flash block 387 is bad
NAND flash block 389 is bad
NAND flash block 391 is bad
NAND flash block 393 is bad
NAND flash block 395 is bad
NAND flash block 399 is bad
NAND flash block 405 is bad
NAND flash block 407 is bad
No valid partition table, defaulting to old boot mechanism
nand_load: page appears to be blank, page 512
Sorry, autoboot failed
>
SDRAM test...
Memory test iteration 0
SDRAM test complete
Attempting to autoboot from NAND device
NAND ID is EC:75
32M NAND flash (Samsung K9F5608U0C) detected
NAND flash block 321 is bad
NAND flash block 323 is bad
NAND flash block 325 is bad
NAND flash block 327 is bad
NAND flash block 331 is bad
NAND flash block 333 is bad
NAND flash block 335 is bad
NAND flash block 337 is bad
NAND flash block 339 is bad
NAND flash block 341 is bad
NAND flash block 343 is bad
NAND flash block 345 is bad
NAND flash block 347 is bad
NAND flash block 349 is bad
NAND flash block 353 is bad
NAND flash block 355 is bad
NAND flash block 359 is bad
NAND flash block 361 is bad
NAND flash block 363 is bad
NAND flash block 365 is bad
NAND flash block 369 is bad
NAND flash block 371 is bad
NAND flash block 373 is bad
NAND flash block 375 is bad
NAND flash block 377 is bad
NAND flash block 379 is bad
NAND flash block 381 is bad
NAND flash block 385 is bad
NAND flash block 387 is bad
NAND flash block 389 is bad
NAND flash block 391 is bad
NAND flash block 393 is bad
NAND flash block 395 is bad
NAND flash block 399 is bad
NAND flash block 405 is bad
NAND flash block 407 is bad
No valid partition table, defaulting to old boot mechanism
nand_load: page appears to be blank, page 512
Sorry, autoboot failed
> h
h - help
m - SDRAM test
i - print NAND device ID
n - NAND device scan
x - NAND device destructive test
y - NAND device dump first page
p - Program NAND device
b - Boot the Linux kernel from NAND device
d - Boot diagnostics from NAND device
Badge
Check your PM.
If the technique works to bring the device back alive, I would be rather curious to see what/where/how you got it back.....
Userlevel 2
Hi, I have the same issue now with my ZP100. Flashing white light, any help would be fantastic
Userlevel 2
After moving to my new house I wanted to reconnect my ZP100 today again. But what a bad surpise: I am facing now same issues as posted here. For me it looks like that backup battery gets weak in this device (if any) and firmware is gone! If a battery is causing this problem a lot more ZP100 users will have the same issue soon (after unplugging power for a while).

Mentioned trick to ping the device also did not helped (it is not longer recognized by my router).

If anybody has an idea to reanimate this device then please let me know.

Katte
Userlevel 2
Hi Zacharias,
jsut read in your port that you connected to the serial port of the zp100.
Can you share any information how you did find the serial port and how you conencted to it?

Working on something but wasn`t able to msg you since i have < 5 posts.

Thanks,
Rolf
Userlevel 2
Hi Zacharias,
jsut read in your port that you connected to the serial port of the zp100.
Can you share any information how you did find the serial port and how you conencted to it?

Working on something but wasn`t able to msg you since i have < 5 posts.

Thanks,
Rolf

Any help ?
Userlevel 2
I'm very interested in this fix... will test and let you know what I find out. Also, would someone please give me a link to the firmware, also on where to find the jtag.

EDIT: OK. I found where to get the firmware... but I still haven't found the serial port. Do you just use the same procedure as if flashing DD-WRT with ethernet port directly connected to computer?
Userlevel 2
Any more progress here? I bought an old ZP100 at a garage sale recently with the hope of adding it to my existing system. It blinks about 5-10 times at startup the the LED goes solid white but can't seem to connect to my existing system. I've tried a factory reset but not luck. It doesn't stay in linking mode very long (only 6-7 flashes of green white). Assume it's some kind of firmware issue. I don't have a lot of money in the unit so I'm not too worries about competely messing it us. Any thoughts? I'd love to play with it a bit to see if I can get it running.
Userlevel 2
Badge
There is a 4 pin UART connector on the logic board of the ZP100 (1:vcc 2:rx 3:tx 4:gnd). If you have some way to connect to it (I used a buspirate), you can see any info that the bootloader is printing out (and test the flash memory and RAM). My guess, given your description of the failure mode, is that the OS crashes sometime after boot. The serial console isn't gonna be real useful if that is the case, it stops printing stuff out after booting. There is a JTAG port on the logic board, but connecting to it is a major pain, and unless you have a lot of time (and money) to burn I wouldn't recommend messing with it.

Keep in mind that Sonos can replace the unit (for a cost) until you open it. Once it's opened they won't replace it. It might be more worth your while to check with them first, before taking the leap.

If you are going to open up the device you can go ahead and check for any obvious issues (blown caps, dry solder joints, etc.). Bgelb0 reported similar issues here.
Userlevel 2
@LogicIsHard would you mind sharing where to find the firmware?

@poshul Where can I find the UART header on the board? Is it the header near the front of the device?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yeah, there are two headers close to each other. The UART is the 4 pin one. The frequency is 38400 (all of the other serial settings are their defaults, which I do not recall off the top of my head). For what it's worth the bootloader is super minimal. You can't load new firmware off of it (as far as I can tell), but it should give you information if the NAND flash has bad blocks, or if the RAM is bad. As for where the firmware is, if you have another zone player check out http://ZP'S_IP_ADDRESS:1400/status/jffs/upgrade.log for information on its last update
Userlevel 2
@poshul Will give it a shot, thank you!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a similar problem I brought a few ZP100's not working. I have repaired the electronics and they now boot and from the led status even appear to try and join my sonos group.
Now here is the strange they are not obtaining a IP address. I can access the ZP100 status page using the default ip address and it seems to have booted not a full boot. I have also used bus pirate and connected to the serial port and appears to be booting. if you press enter on the serial port it says its running BusyBox v1.00-pre3 (2007.03.30-22:08+0000) Built-in shell (ash).

I am wondering if anyone has advice on what to do next or managed to reload the firmware from this point?
Userlevel 2
Badge
@chris_: From my experiences, if you are getting a shell on the UART port, something weird is going on. On the normal release firmware the serial console shuts down after the bootloader transfers control to the OS. Can you tell me what version of the firmware the box is running? My guess is that you have a debug version of the firmware. Theoretically you should be able to grab a copy of the firmware from the URL you find in upgrade.log on a working sonos, and load it using /bin/upgrade with whatever the proper arguments are.
Userlevel 2
Badge
thanks for both replies. I have now configured a ip address in my routers range and setup a route to the internet I can now ping the internet sites successfully.
Yes the software version appears to be
3.2-29243-diag
upgrade log shows
http://169.254.2.2/Sonos/Downgrade/ZP100/3.2-29243-1-1.upd?cmaj=12&cmin=3&cbld=22140&subm=3&rev=2®=1&serial=000xxxxxxxxxx&sonosid=xxxxxxxxx&
so If i use the previous log but put in the ip address obtained by pinging the web site address.
I get this output:

upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.up d?cmaj=11&cmin=7&cbld=19141&subm=3&rev=2®=1&serial=000E58102A68C&sonosid=1093 34178&householdid=HHID_kVgj2AarGobnnsXM85aGrvPURo0

[8] + Done upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

[7] + Done upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

[6] + Done upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

[5] + Done upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

[4] + Done upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

[3] + Done upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

[2] + Done upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

wget: server returned error 400: HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request

Read failure 0

WGET exited with 1

Upgrade failed: (11) upgrade file download failed

pull_upgrade failed

#

[1] + Done(1) upgrade http://23.2.72.206/firmware/Gold/v3.1-Janis-GC2_Gold/12.3-22140-1-1.upd?cmaj=11

#

#

#

I think you are on the right track but not sure how to use the upgrade command
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
The update server responds with 400 error on invalid url, so it could mean that this version is not available (3.1 is a very old version), or that this server is no longer in use. It seems to point to akamai, and maybe they aren't used anymore. It might also require a hostname which requires the player to actually be able to make DNS lookups.

You need to get a hold of a url to a recent firmware, is my guess.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@jishi Unfortunately there is no TFTP boot option for the ZP100, the bootloader is based off of linuxsh's bootloader, if you hit Q from the bootloader it will try to load an image off of a hardcoded address in RAM. You can load images from JTAG but it is a royal pain.
@chris_ if you have a working sonos that's up to date I'd recommend checking for the arguments to upgrade from its log.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi All,
thanks for the help.
What I have found is putting the url in a pc web browser gives a error but also downloads the a .upd file. So I think I have the firmware.
I have set my pc up as a file sever and made the file available type in the upgrade command and it appears to work.... then stop saying I need to stop anacapad.
using 'ps' command there appears to be lots of anacapad process's and I cannot kill them.

any more ideas welcome?

see screen capture below
#

upgrade version 28.1-83040

compatible with Sonos Zone Player submodels 0-16 revisions 0-4294967294 (any region)

compatible with hardware feature set 1d

My hardware feature set is 1

Upgrade supports all my features

/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-Upgrade file is good

Using new partition format mode

Destination section 0 generation 13

Operating in redundant partition mode (not changing partition table)

Executing upgrade script...Checking to see if (hh.)anacapad is running...Anacapa is running - please stop it and run upgrade again.

failed

Upgrade failed: (35) failure reading upgrade script file

pull_upgrade failed

#
Userlevel 2
Badge
Not sure off the top of my head. Can you kill anacapa using the /opt/anacapactl script?