Workaround for Multiple Houses

• 17 April 2021
  • 8 replies

I have read many posts about how to configure Sonos when you have 2 or 3 homes and how to manage the different speakers in each house.  Many of the solutions involve “resetting” the app on your phone each time you go between each house, so the app somewhat “forgets” and “rediscovers” which house you left and which house you just arrived at.

I have managed to implement a different procedure that does not involve resetting the Sonos app and I wanted to share it and see if it fixed more problems than it creates for other members in the community.

I’m not sure how you would do this on an apple phone, but my Samsung Galaxy has a “secured folder”, which creates essentially a separate phone within a phone, where many apps can run in another “instance” with different accounts and without conflicting with the same app on the primary instance of the phone.  Other Android phones can use an app called “Dual Space” which does pretty much the same thing.

So in my primary home, I am running Sonos normally on my phone for the network in this house.  When I travel to my other home, I have installed Sonos again in the secure folder with a different email address and Sonos account.  My music services are connected to both Sonos accounts with the same credentials for the music services.  The only thing different is the Sonos username and email.

So on one phone, I’m running Sonos twice and they don’t see each other.  One for each house.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sorry @eastwestauto ,but the simple solution is not to reset the app. It will connect with whichever Sonos system is on the local network. 

Single Sonos account,  one email,single device.

I don’t quite see why you went to such trouble. There’s no need for ‘virtual’ instances.

A Sonos controller app can be joined to -- and remember -- multiple systems (households). Whichever system is detected on the local network will appear in the controller.

In fact the controller stores next to nothing apart from the IDs of the systems it knows about, a few app preferences and the ordering of items in My Sonos. Everything else is fetched from the system itself on the fly.

Edit: @John B  beat me to it.

I have for years visited a friend who introduced me to Sonos, he has a system similar to mine. My controller just connects directly to his system automatically when I am on his WiFi, and connects automatically to my system when my phone is on my WiFi network. There’s no resetting, no playing around necessary. When I’m in his home, I see his data, streaming services, speakers, etc, when I’m on my network, I see mine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Airgetlam Are you logged in to your friends system?

@Airgetlam Are you logged in to your friends system?

I think it would be correct to say that a visitor in this situation is connected to the system, not logged in.  Playing music would be possible, but any attempt to change a setting would be met by a Sonos account password request.  This was introduced as a security measure some years ago to provide security for users.

Of course, connecting to Sonos first requires the visitor to be allowed to connect to the host’s WiFi network.  

Of course, connecting to Sonos first requires the visitor to be allowed to connect to the host’s WiFi network.  

An important point, as personally I would only give guests access to the Guest network, not the main one that Sonos is on...

An important point, as personally I would only give guests access to the Guest network, not the main one that Sonos is on...

One can’t have anyone ‘helpfully’ updating your system…. :wink:

Agreed, although I am the person who frequently maintains his system, but as John says, I’m normally just connected by being on his local WiFi, and not actually logged in to his account, unless there is a need. Logging in to someone’s Sonos account is not something I would recommend, but connecting to a Sonos system is fine, since those login requirements for change are now enforced.