Wired-only vs wireless for SONOS devices

• 5 November 2018
  • 5 replies

I would prefer to minimize the amount of broadband RF permeating my home. To further that goal, I have run ethernet cabling to every room. I've plugged all my Sonos devices into these ethernet ports, but don't see any way to disable the wireless signals. Is there any way to do so, or will the data always be broadcast via wireless, even when all the devices are plugged directly into Ethernet?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

With the recent release of 9.2, there is somewhere where you can turn it off. I don't happen to be at home to look and see, but I'd imagine that it's buried in the advance settings for each speaker, and isn't a global thing, since for most people it would be a substantial mistake to do so.
Go to More > Settings > Room Settings. Choose a room you wish to configure and go to the Advanced Room menu.
Badge
I thought with the update, that when you reboot the device that is now hardwired into the Sonos network, that the device will boot and look to connect to the hardwired port first. If it doesn't see the hardwired port, it will search for the wireless connection. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it.
The way I understand it, the device looks for the "lowest cost" or "lowest ping" to the desired address. If you have two available methods, it can flap in between them as things change, and cause potential dropouts.

Could be wrong, though.
Thanks, I did find the "disable wifi" function, but I had to use my iPad to access it. Apparently, the Windows app has a very limited range of settings that can be adjusted. Silly me for thinking that the Windows application would have all, or even more capabilities than the phone app. However, in case anyone from Sonos is actually lurking here, please do know that there are still a lot of folks that would rather work from a large screen, mouse, and keyboard whenever possible.