Question

WiFi Range Extenders that don't cause intermittent connection problems for Sonos Move Speakers.

• 24 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 3 replies

I recently purchased 2 sonos move speakers that are stereo paired and currently have them on the 2nd floor of my house. The main Xfinity gateway/router is on the first floor directly below the room with the move speakers. The other side of the 2nd floor has a wifi dead spot where I installed a EX8000 Netgear Nighthawk wifi extender which just failed completely and now needs to be replaced. What type of WiFi range extender would you recommend that will provide "seamless roaming" for my other devices but won't cause interference with the move speakers' connecting to the main wifi? (I had initial move installation problems that your tech said was caused by the Netgear wifi extender.)

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @MidF 

Thanks for your query.

In general, Sonos doesn’t support or recommend WiFi extenders or boosters, due to the way in which they operate (they tend to be half-duplex and thus cut bandwidth in half, in addition to blocking network protocols we make use of, like multicast).

For extending the reach of your WiFi, we recommend you use a WiFi Mesh system. These are much faster and more robust. If you keep your existing router, make sure to put a mesh system into Bridge mode to prevent it creating a new network.

Sometimes, however, boosters or extenders work without issue. I’d need to leave it to the community to recommend products they’ve had positive results with. Please note that results may vary depending on your situation.

Badge

Hi Corry,

Thanks for the quick reply and clarification of what works best with Sonos.

I’m going to get the NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Range Extender EX7500. It is obviously billed as a mesh system and Netgear claims “seamless smart roaming” that uses my existing network SSID name so I’d supposedly never get disconnected as I move around the house with my various devices (e.g. iPhone, iPad, laptops, etc.). I’m presuming this would not cause any problems with moving my paired Sonos Move speakers anywhere within range of my “extended” home network. (I generally don’t move my other Sonos speakers (Play 1s and Play 5s) around much and they currently work quite well with my Sonos Boost.)

There’s maybe a way to set the Netgear EX7500 mesh extender in bridge mode using the Netgear Nighthawk app but it doesn’t seem like that would not be necessary since the Netgear mesh extender would use the existing Xfinity gateway/router’s SSID name and not try to create a new network. 
I’m certainly not an expert on how all these networks and network protocols work, so I may be off base with some of my statements and assumptions.

Thanks very much.

@MidF, I suggest you go for Access Points instead, e. g. the Ubiquiti UniFi kit is said to work quite well with Sonos.

I just purchased a TP-Link AC1750 WI-FI Extender. Then opened Sonos on my iPhone and had the alert that some speakers connected to the range extender network and could not be paired with speakers on the original network. One of my speakers that was paired was not responding.

I downloaded the TP LINK TETHER app for the iOS. I selected the TP-LINK device and clicked on ‘Clients’ which shows all the connected clients. I selected ‘SonosZP’ and clicked ‘BLOCK’. It kicked Sonos off the range extender network and everything seems to be working fine again.

Hope this helps somebody, I as about to return the TP LINK.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @MidF 

There’s maybe a way to set the Netgear EX7500 mesh extender in bridge mode using the Netgear Nighthawk app but it doesn’t seem like that would not be necessary since the Netgear mesh extender would use the existing Xfinity gateway/router’s SSID name and not try to create a new network. 

That seems entirely likely - that device wouldn’t try to create a network, but I cannot comment on whether it works or not - you’d need to try it and see. It does look promising though. Please let us know how you get on, and be sure to test it with Sonos thoroughly before the return period is over.