using thr play:5 as a standalone speaker using the line-in after upgrading to a Play 5

using thr play:5 as a standalone speaker using the line-in after upgrading to a Play 5

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

I’m trying to understand what you’re asking here. That appears to be a statement,

Hi, that was the subject; apologies. 

I have 2 Play:5s that I upgraded using the Sonos promotion. It seems a pity to throw them out. I was hoping to use the speakers as standalone devices using the line-in input. Appreciate any insight. 

You could even using them via a S1 controller with all existing functionality in S1. And if, using that controller, you set the line in to autoplay, they will works as dumb speakers for any wired in source. Even if there is no WiFi.

Thanks Kumar. When I upgraded to the new Play 5, Sonos turned off functionality and S1 does not detect the old Play:5. 🙁

I do not know the gory details of what you are seeing because I refused to be railroaded by Sonos into moving to S2 so I do not know all of those. But what you are talking about is the objectionable stunt that Sonos tried to pull before customer outrage forced them to abandon this tactic. Now, there is a way for older S1 hardware to still work for customers who have chosen to use it get discounts on purchase of new S2 capable hardware.

Wait for someone else that knows all the details of the “how to”  to post here, and/or write in to Sonos customer support via email for guidance on how to get your S1 hardware to still work on S1.

If I recall correctly, if you did this after June 2020, you should succeed. But those that fell for the Sonos trick before their course correction at about that time, had no option except to throw away the old hardware.

The problem is that to configure the line in to autoplay, the unit needs to be recognised. Once that configuration is done, there is no need for such recognition, or, as I said, even for WiFi to be there.

For more information, see: https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/5/21166777/sonos-ending-recycle-mode-trade-up-program-sustainability

I have not read it all today, but you will get the background from it, but may still need to know the “how to” bit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@SanjShaman Just to be clear: you own a pair of Play:5 (gen 1)'s that have been bricked by Sonos in the short time bricking was part of the trade in program? When did you take part in the trade in program?

Hi, it was in Sep 2020. I can get a more exact date. I recall I waited as I was reasonably miffed. Thanks

Hi, it was in Sep 2020. I can get a more exact date. I recall I waited as I was reasonably miffed. Thanks

Your legacy play:5s should be working in a S1 system now.  The should have been working as S1 back in June 2020 when Sonos made the S1/S2 split.  When did your legacy play:5s stop working?

I presume they “bricked” it when I upgraded. Rather than toss it out I just started playing with it and cannot get S1 to recognize it. Does Sonos “help” help?

I presume they “bricked” it when I upgraded. Rather than toss it out I just started playing with it and cannot get S1 to recognize it. Does Sonos “help” help?

You may find that to create a new S1 Household with a Play:5 (gen1) you need to remove the S2 Controller App from your chosen mobile setup device first. 

So perhaps try this suggestion

• Remove the S2 App.
  • Install S1 App
  • Factory reset just one of the Play:5 (gen1) devices.
  • Open S1 App and create a new Household/System and install the Play:5
  • Now add the second Play:5 (gen1) from factory-reset state from ‘Add Product’ in S1 App ‘Settings.System’.
  • Reinstall S2 App, but on opening choose to connect to your "existing” S2 System - press the join button on one of the S2 Players when prompted and all should then be fine.

You should lose nothing by following the suggestion above, but you will have to reinstall your services and setup your S1 HH from scratch - your S2 system will simply remain as you have it setup at the moment.

Hope that works for you. 

Thanks Ken. Will try it later today and report back to the community. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

September 2020 is long after Sonos stopped bricking speakers in the trade up program.

September 2020 is long after Sonos stopped bricking speakers in the trade up program.

Perhaps there is a right way/sequence of setting things up on upgrading so that the old speakers continue to work, that the OP may not have followed? He has a suggestion to explore, that may resolve the issue.

Ken, you are the best. Managed to get it working on one device. Having trouble on my iPhone but at least I know it works! đŸ™đŸŒ

Ken, you are the best. Managed to get it working on one device. Having trouble on my iPhone but at least I know it works! đŸ™đŸŒ

If the iPhone is giving you issues, then perhaps give this a try... Goto the iPhone settings (grey cog icon). Goto the WiFi network connection that’s in use and select the small icon to see the properties of that connection and choose to switch off “Private Address” (MAC spoofing security feature) - it’s not actually required for home networks anyway - ignore any privacy warning.

The WiFi connection may disconnect but just simply reconnect the phone to the network and see if that then helps to prevent the issues you’re seeing.

Anyhow, glad to hear your speaker is now working - you can perhaps now choose to factory reset and hopefully be able add your ‘other’ Play:5 (gen1) via the ‘Add Product’ option in "Settings/System” of the S1 App.