Answered

Using Surround Sound System with outdoor speakers

• 31 August 2023
  • 6 replies

I have an existing surround sound system with a Denon X1700 receiver. We just bought a Sonos port on BestBuys advice to be able to play sports audio on the projector inside (through fire stick plugged into the receiver) as well as the sonance outdoor speakers. The sonance are hooked up to an AMP and the receiver will currently play Spotify on both systems through the Sonos app. However, I can’t figure out a way to get the Fire stick audio to play on both speakers. The port is plugged into the main phono audio in on the receiver and the regular out plugs, not using digital… the fire stick is plugged into the HDMI (media player). Right now I have to change the input to phono on the receiver to get Spotify to work on all speakers… does that mean I need to get a different set of plugs to do the TV audio? Do I need to change the audio input on the receiver and use Spotify on the fire stick instead? Is a port going to be able to do what we want? Thanks for your insight Sonos community! 

icon

Best answer by buzz 31 August 2023, 06:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Current Hookup photos for reference! 

Don’t plug PORT’s Line-Out into Phono, only turntables can be used here. MEDIA PLAYER is the most logical input for PORT.

Wire the ZONE2 output to PORT’s Line-In. Maybe this will work. Not all receivers will convert a digital audio source (Fire Stick) to analog. Another detail will be interaction with ZONE2’s Volume control. You may have a “war” between ZONE2 and SONOS Volume controls. Operationally, you’ll need to deal with the Volume control, and selecting the proper input for ZONE2.

Finally, there will be a 75ms time offset between output to speakers connected to the receiver, and SONOS players while you are playing Fire Stick.

Hi Buzz, thanks for your reply. I ordered a digital coaxial cable to try because the regular RCA does not seem to be able to work in any input on the receiver except the phono one. The input on the Sonos port to the outputs on the receiver also don’t give me any control in the app. I’m beginning to think what I’m trying to achieve isn’t possible and Best Buy just didn’t know… 

My Sonos beam allows us to play any tv audio (firestick or not) on any of our Sonos hooked up systems. There has never been an audio delay… I was told by Best Buy that the Sonos port with our receiver would allow the same with the surround sound system, our projector and then any other Sonos products we have. The end goal is to have a football game play on the home theater system in the basement and have that audio projected throughout the home/ outdoor speakers. Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Is there another combination I should try? 

I suspect that there is an issue with the input assignments. Starting on page 190 in the manual there are some settings that you should check. On page 248 is the statement that I was afraid of:

• No sound is output when using ZONE2: Digital signal audio input from the HDMI connector or digital audio connectors (OPTICAL) cannot be played back. Use analog connections

I suggest that you make an audio connection between the TV and PORT’s Line-In.

Which model TV are you using? If this is a modern TV you’ll need an optical to analog converter.

So bypass the receiver entirely or add that in addition? It’s for a home theater that uses a projector so it’s not actually a TV. The projector is an Optoma, attached a photo of how it is hooked up. It’s upside down since suspended from the ceiling. 

You’ll need the receiver for surround sound. I think that the most practical arrangement is a wired or wireless connection between the projector and a receiver line level input. When you want to send projector audio to PORT, select the projector’s input for ZONE2.