• 7 replies

I have the following setup:

In-ceiling speakers connected through a Connect:AMP
2 Play:1 speakers in separate rooms
1 Connect
Marantz NR1504 Receiver
2 PSB Alpha T1s
AT-LP60 Turntable

I want to be able to play the Television and the turntable through the Sonos system. What is the proper set-up?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 December 2017, 22:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Using the current equipment? Connect the TV and turntable to the Marantz. I'm assuming it's already connected to the CONNECT for streaming purposes.

You won't get anything other than a stereo signal from the TV, though. No 5.1 using a CONNECT. You'd need to get a PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE for that.
Yeah, that's fine for now. Upgrade later. I am asking what output I would use from the receiver to the Connect. I know I can play the turntable through the Sonos and then use one of the other RCA inputs on the Marantz to play the vinyl through the Sonos and the PSB T1s.

However, I want to be able to ALSO play the TV through the Sonos system so I can use the in-ceiling speakers connected to the Connect:AMP and the PSBs while watching TV.

That make sense?
Ah, sorry, didn't quite understand.

The output from the receiver should be something like a tape out, to the analog in on the CONNECT. For this situation, I'd connect everything to the Marantz, and then use the tape out to connect to the Sonos system.

However, I do have a caveat for you. Anything that you send to the CONNECT will incur a delay, usually around 70ms. This means that it will be impractical for you to use the Sonos speakers simultaneous with any speakers connected to the Marantz itself. You'd get a "stadium" style delay, which would make music basically unlistenable.

However, if you are pushing music from the Sonos system to the Marantz, all speakers will be in sync, since the source of the music is all digital, and already has been processed.
Ah....got it. So there's no real way to use my in-ceiling speakers connected to the Connect:AMP with the PSB T1's connected to the Marantz at the same time while watching TV, right? Because I am pushing from the tape out to the Sonos? Wonder if there's a way to fix that delay in some way....
Not really. Any analog input to the Sonos system incurs at least a 70ms delay for both processing and buffering so it can be sent out to all other Sonos speakers on the system....whether they exist or not. No one has yet figured out a way to reduce that delay, at least that I've seen in these forums.

If you were using a PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE, there's actually a Sonos approved hack to get the CONNECT:AMP to push rear speakers, but that's the only case that I'm aware of that it would work.
Interesting. I guess I could just get a Playbar! Thanks.
If you do, here is the FAQ for that:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248/~/setting-up-connect%3Aamp-as-surround-speakers